Cubase 5. I can hear sounds from my VST plugins but notes will not record!

thamesriver

Hello all,

I am sorry if this answer is posted, I could not find it. I have cubase 5, and an m-audio 49 (usb). When I press keys I hear wonderful sounds from the VST I've chosen, I see the midi activity light turn on in cubase, but when I click record it does not lay down any notes! I know I'm close I feel like I'm missing some weird setting.

Also the one thing I did notice is that in devices > device setup > midi port setup, I see my keyboard listed as a DirectMusic IN, but the only outs available are Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and my USB to Midi interface that I use for my drums....I was watching a youtube video and the lady was saying that I should have a MIDI in and out listed here for my keyboard. Would that explain why I can hear the keyboard but not record it....? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Tim

Not much of a midi guy, but after you created the instrument track, did you use the 'pencil' tool to draw an event in the project window? Try that and see if that solves the problem.

Don't use Cubase much but I seem to remember something about midi thru setting in prefs, I'll have to check it out!

EDIT, yes had a look & in midi there's a box called "midi thru" that has to be checked,don't know if this will solve your problem,
sorry can't be more help! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back