Creating a 2 keyboard setup with MIDI

musician123

Hi, this may be a very basic question but I don't know the answer.

I recently bought a Roland FA-08 and I have an old Casio WK-1630. Both keyboards have a MIDI in and MIDI out. The Casio has some features I would like to use, like chord recognition.

Is it possible for the Casio mimic every note I am playing on the Roland in real-time? I just need every note I am playing on the Roland to be transmitted to the Casio and it to copy exactly what I am playing on the Roland. Is there some software I would need for this?

Thanks.

Update:
In case this helps, it says this in the Casio's manual:
"Use MIDI IN CHORD JUDGE when you want to use note data received from an external device through MIDI IN to play chords. It comes in handy when you want to control Auto Accompaniment chord progressions from a computer or external device."
http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/wk_1630_01_e.pdf

Last edited:
I'm not sure just what you have in mind, but probably.

If you connect midi out of one keyboard to midi in of the other, then whatever you play on the first will also be played on the second. That's what midi does. By turning volume up or down on either machine, you could have one play, or the other, or both.

There are some BUTs - the first keyboard may transmit data on a specific channel. The other keyboard may receive data on a specific channel. Channels need to be the same. You need to check this in the manuals. Both devices may be able to set the relevant channel, you need to set both to the same channel.

The note you refer to in the Casio manual seems to refer ONLY (?) to chord data on Auto Accomp. Maybe if does NOT refer to 'normal' notes?

As well as the above, there may be a switch on your 'receive' device to accept midi data rather than keyboard data (and depending on device, 'send' as well). A Casio keyboard I have uses the 'Mode' switch to do this.

Geoff

Further to the above, I've had a look at the Midi Implementation Charts for the two devices.

I note that both devices transmit and receive on all channels 1 to 16, and I assume that both can be set to send or receive on any specific ones, depending on what else might be connected within your midi system.

I would point out, however, that the Roland device will send a substantial amount of midi data, including almost every controller, and the Casio will recognise only a small proportion of this data. Also, the Casio has the facility to select/modify the Effects via Sysex, while the Roland has some specific controllers to do some of this (but maybe can do Sysex as well while playing)?

There are also some limits to the Note numbers sent and recognised by the Casio, relating to 'True Voice', but I don't know what that is. It may not affect what you're intending to do?

The best thing it to try what you're intending, and if anything is not working, check back with details.

Geoff

Back