Connecting MIDI output from drums to a drum sampler

Galactic

I have an electric kit but I'd like to access new sounds, the kit has a MIDI output but I have no idea what I need to buy to connect it to. Happy to buy some hardware, I just don't know what I'm looking for or how to do it- does anyone have any ideas?

Being able to quantise the output would be nice but I'm more interested in just getting loads of new drum sounds.

Cheers

Depends on lots of things. My Yamaha midi kit can plug into cubase, then use my other drum sounds - BUT - I have to remap the MIDI data, as the Yamaha snare MIDI note triggers a different drum sound on my samplers. Worse is that when you have made up a patch to convert the notes to the right notes, very often my cheap MIDI kit dynamics are wrong. They seem ok on the yamaha brain - as I play louder, the sounds change in the right way, but using the snare for example, accents seem to pop out in unexpected places when my drum sampler changes to the next sample at the wrong point, and then the extra loud hit stays on the same sound. I intended using my Yamaha kit to drive Cubase, but it just took its too much effort. I don't know of a live version of this?

Ah ok, I'm aware of the remap but i didnt think about just how many different sounds i'll have to map given all the dynamics the kit is capable of.

I think what i'm going to do is get an MPC and see if the dynamics are ok using that, my laptop is not great and I'd rather rely on hardware if at all possible, more fun too.

Did you need any specific MIDI converter? Or does the standard cheap one work ok?

Back