Connecting Keyboard to Cubase dosen't work

JA94

Hi everyone

I'm a total newbie in the recording world and just bought myself a Steinberg UR 242 interface. I tried now to connect my Yamaha PSR 900 with MIDI cable to my interface in order to record with it on Cubase. Now Cubase actually recognizes my Interface but it it dosen't get the signal from my keyboard.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using a MacBook Pro and Cubase Elements 7.

Thanks for any help

I have found that Cubase doesn't see the keyboard if you plug it in after you started Cubase. But maybe that's not the problem you are experiencing.

What instrument are you using to get sounds from? The midi cable only sends midi data, not audio. If you want to use midi, you need a sound generator in Cubase, like a softsynth or VSTi.

If you want to use the sounds from your keyboard, you need to use audio cables, not midi.

Thanks for the response

I want to get the midi data to use with HALion Sonic (iI would monitor through PC speakers). It didn't help to start Cubase after I connected it. Any other ideas?

Did you read the manual and follow the instructions? In Cubase, the midi isn't something you can feel your way through. I don't deal with midi much, so I always have to look up how to make it work because it is slighty counte-intuitive.

The first thing to do would be to try to make it so you can record the midi signal. Then assign the vst instrument to that stream.

I have a different experience with Cubase and midi than Farview. I've always been able to plug in my midi controller, start Cubase, load up a VSTi and it just works.

Be sure you are creating a midi track and assigning a VSTi to it. Or use an instrument track if you have the option. It will create a midi track for you.

Screenshots help if you can post them.

You might want to start by checking the basics. The UR242 interface is USB 2.0, so make sure you're connecting it to a USB 2.0 port on your MacBook Pro, rather than a USB 3.0 port. 3.0 is supposed to be backward-compatible with 2.0, but I've heard cases where a problem with a DAW not detecting the MIDI sent from an audio interface was found to be caused by connecting a USB 2.0 interface to a USB 3.0 port.

In my experience with MIDI controllers with Cubase, if it not a... Aw nevermind...

In Cubase take a click on Devices>Device Setup...>Click on the '+' at the top left. If not shown try the MIDI>MIDI Port Setup.

I bet your answers are in there somewhere.

:)

Back