Connect Yamaha CLP + MIDI sequencer

Kakka Kurassa

Hey,
I'm new to this forum and hopefully don't repeat something already discussed.

My Yamaha CLP 270 has a set of XG sounds plus a dozen of other sounds. When connecting my sequencer(s) to the Yamaha I can only choose the GM sounds, I haven't found a way to let the sequencer choose other sounds as well. What should I do "to release my creative potential" (to use the stupid marketing expression) and to enable my sequencer to use all the sounds on my instrument?

-----
Art is always artificial

you will most likely need to look up how it responds to bank and program changes since the GM set is only up to 128 and the XG is probably beyond that. When send bank changes you send a bank message followed by a program change. It should be in the midi implementation section of the manual (if you dont have one, check yamaha's website)

Thanks for ideas.

My main problem is however how to find the extra voices Yamaha has as "main voices", which are outside XG.

In fact the question is about how to feed the voice info from the keyboard to the sequencer, or how to create a bank of voices in the sequencer that would match not only the XG voices but also the "main" voices on the keyboard, notably the piano sound, which is the best sound on the Yamaha.

Perhaps I can't formulate my question well. But with GM sounds it was easy working with a sequencer: you have the voices clearly listed there in the sequencer. Or: with some other instruments I've owned it's been easy to define a voice to a MIDI channel. Onthe Yamaha there is no such option.

Maybe this home keyboard is not meant to be used with an external sequencer?

Thanks again. After careful trying and reading, the result seems like this:

XG sounds - no problem, I have access to all of them. Other sounds (including the best sound onboard, the piano sound) you can access as well, but not simultaneously with the XG sounds!

The MIDI chart and the manual ( very very slim on MIDI) give no information on these non-XG sounds and their use.

Final verdict: Yamaha makes using the primary sounds of CLP-270 difficult and even impossible with the more or less superfluous (at least for the targer group buyer) XG sounds.

Back