Connect Nektar Impact LC49+ to external speakers and computer at same time

wolf_metallo

Hi All,

I am using a very basic laptop (Lenovo business laptop from my work), with standard in-built sound card. This is resulting is huge latency when I play any instrument (VSTi) using the impact Lx49 MIDI controller. I have absolutely no other gear.

Is there anyway to connect the MIDI controller directly to an external speaker in order to reduce latency? I know the VSTi sound will drop, but i am fine as long as i get basic sound out of the external speaker so i can keep up with the metronome and get immediate response. I do want the MIDI codes to go the computer using USB at the same time, so it records what i am playing.

Basics:
1. DAW = Reaper
2. MIDI Contorller = Nektar IMpact LC49+ - pretty basic controller with only two outputs - one USB output, and a footpedal output
3. Speaker = regular headphones/speakers - NO studio monitor or amp available

Appreciate your help - I am running on super cheap setup, since primary aim is to put inspiration to paper, and then take it to next level (if all goes well) :thumbs up:

No. It is the computer. Nothing to do with the controller.

Except for VST/i with sample sounds, it should be latency free. I got a new korg keyboard controller and sequencer in the mail yesterday and I was latency free on the two boxes I've tried it on.

All the sound is on the computer. So, we have to work on sorting that out. You can try and find simple MIDI VST/i synths or wavetable players to compare latency

Hi,
You'll need to go into Reaper settings and adjust the Audio>Device>Block Size to something lower.
I think you need to tick the 'request block size' box too.
It's probably at 512. try 128 or 64.

If that doesn't get it to an acceptable level there's something else at work or it's just a limitation of the on board sound card.

No. It is the computer. Nothing to do with the controller.

Except for VST/i with sample sounds, it should be latency free. I got a new korg keyboard controller and sequencer in the mail yesterday and I was latency free on the two boxes I've tried it on.

All the sound is on the computer. So, we have to work on sorting that out. You can try and find simple MIDI VST/i synths or wavetable players to compare latency

Agree, my sound card is really basic - and sadly I cannot change it. Will check the latency as you suggested, but I am sure its not acceptable since I miss beats since I hear the response late through speakers - it throws me off while I am playing :(

Hi,
You'll need to go into Reaper settings and adjust the Audio>Device>Block Size to something lower.
I think you need to tick the 'request block size' box too.
It's probably at 512. try 128 or 64.

If that doesn't get it to an acceptable level there's something else at work or it's just a limitation of the on board sound card.

Thanks for the suggestion - Tried to reduce buffer to 4x512 with latency = 46 ms. This provide better response, but the speaker either crackles too much, or drop the VST completely :D

But I guess this will be my solution - forget the "sound quality", but at least get the timing right while recording and then switch buffer back to normal during playback. Thanks folks! :)

Actually, I re-read your recommendations and dropper buffer to 8 x 128 , with latency = 23ms. Things are working MUCH better now, with low crackling and great response. Thank you very much :)

Cool. Glad that helped! I'm not sure what 4x and 8x means in your post but hey...It's working!

Generally the tradeoff is low buffer size (eg 64) = low latency and harder work for the computer. Greater potential for clicks/pops/dropouts etc.
These artefacts are usually playback only. I.E. not committed to the recording.

High buffer size (eg 1024) = large latency but easier load on the machine. Less potential for stutter/clicks/pops etc.

With lower spec computers it can be useful to do the former for tracking and the latter for mixing.
If you find yourself treading that line with clicks/pops etc, you might try clawing back system performance by doing some OS streamlining/optimising.

"Agree, my sound card is really basic"

My test yesterday was first on a old XP tower with integrated audio. But MIDI should be the same with an old ISA card on a 286.

On the xp machine I tested a string ensemble, which is sample based. and didn't need to fiddle with anything

"Agree, my sound card is really basic"

My test yesterday was first on a old XP tower with integrated audio. But MIDI should be the same with an old ISA card on a 286.

On the xp machine I tested a string ensemble, which is sample based. and didn't need to fiddle with anything

Interesting - for some reason my laptop crackles a lot - will see if it is a HDD issue.

Cool. Glad that helped! I'm not sure what 4x and 8x means in your post but hey...It's working!

Generally the tradeoff is low buffer size (eg 64) = low latency and harder work for the computer. Greater potential for clicks/pops/dropouts etc.
These artefacts are usually playback only. I.E. not committed to the recording.

High buffer size (eg 1024) = large latency but easier load on the machine. Less potential for stutter/clicks/pops etc.

With lower spec computers it can be useful to do the former for tracking and the latter for mixing.
If you find yourself treading that line with clicks/pops etc, you might try clawing back system performance by doing some OS streamlining/optimising.

Thanks - that's a great recommendation. Will keep that in mind.

The 4x and 8x I was referring to are in the "Buffer" setting of Reaper - below screenshot should give context; i have highlighted the section in yellow...

Audio Setting.PNG

But any case, things are working great now - I am able to use the Pads on the MIDI to create beats as well :)

Ah, I see.
That's laid out differently to the version of Reaper I have but no matter; It's the same thing.
Glad you found some success. Happy music making! :)

Back