Outhabox

Completely MIDI CONFIG Illiterate - Have i been blackballed

Please help ..

I have the
Roland Fantom X-6
Korg 1600mkII MIXER/ Digital Recording Studio
Cubase SX
Emu 0404 Sound Card

I have hook the thing up everywhich way it can be even tried the USb MIDI thru thing & stil can't get it to record nor work right. I need help with the whole shibang. Who ids Master/ Who is Slave/ Who & what is the dif between Slave MIDI & Slave MTC & Remote....I know if this was all working right it would save me alot of time in editing and re aligning tracks.

Thanks in advance
Alison

Last edited:
First of all, lets both take a deep breath and try to establish exactly what you already know and what you need to know.

Did the Korg multitrack or the computer come first? Are you trying to bring new capabilities to your existing setup and if so what are you expecting from which piece?

There is a big area of crossover between the Korg multitrack and Cubase in that they are both digital multitrack recorders, but they differ in both input capabilities and portability. For example, I have a Yamaha AW16g that serves as my workhorse mobile recorder because it lets me dump the tracks down one song at a time for transfer to the computer for editing.

As far as the Fantom goes, have you got that talking to Cubase over the midi wire yet? Or is that another area in which you need some help?

Try to, as we say in the big world of computers, clear your RAM buffer for a while while we work through what seems like a huge problem right now but will probably turn out to be just a matter of a few simple posts back and forth.

Look forward to hearing from you!

GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically I Use My Korg For Tracking and My Computer For Editing/ Mastering/ etc.. However I would like to be able to record both the audio/ MIDI from my keyboard straight into cubase sometimes thru my EMU or Thru the Korg then Thru my EMU to Cubase and then also be able to use it as a controller for soft synths.

As far as the korg goes when i am tracking I'd like it to sync with the fantom instead of trying to push both the play on the fantom and record on the korg at the same time trying to get each track to record at the same starting point each time. Archaic ...Iknow.

Then I'd also like to be able to have the Korg sync'd with the computer when i am transfering tracks over to cubase for the same reason. It's kinda hard to click the mouse and push play and get them to both start at the exact same time with each track.

Also, can the phantom/ Korg/ Cubase transmit/ receive all 16 tracks Audio and/or MIDI at the same time?

I'm really confused as to who is the Slave / Master Etc. & When.

My Fantom has 3 Sections of MIDI Options To Choose From
In One Sync/Tempo Area The Options are:[/U]

MASTER
SLAVE-MIDI
SLAVE-MTC
REMOTE
Sync Output - Off/On
Tempo Override - Off/On
ARP/Rhythm Sync Switch - Off/ON

The 2nd Area

MMC\MTC
MMC MOde - Master/Slave
MMC Output - Off/On
MTC Sync Output - Off/On
MTC Frame Rate - 24/25/29n/29d/30 (the KORG Is 30)
MTC Offset Time - Hour 0-23
MTC Offset Time Minute - 0-59
MTC Offset Time Second - 0-59
MTC Offset Time Frame - 0-29
MTC Error Level - 0-10

MIDIPage Options

General

Device ID - 17
Performance Control Channel / Off -16
KBD Patch RX\ TX Channel / 1-16
Pad Patch - receive/ transmit channel 1-16

Transmit
Transmit Program Change - On/Off
TRansmit Bank Select - On/Off
Transmit Active Sensing - On/Off
Transmit Edit Data - On/Off
Soft Thru - On/Off

Receive
Remote Keyboard Switch On/Off
Receive Program Change On/Off
Receive Bank Select On/Off
Receive Exclusive On/Off
Receive GM System On/Off
Receive GM2 System On/Off
Receive GS Reset On/Off

The Third Area
USB MIDI Area

USB MODE - MIDI/Storage
USB-MIDI Thru - Off/ON

The Manual says this about using the Fantom In USB MIDI MODE:

Select the Mode The USB Connector will be used for:

Value:

Storage: Storage mode - transfering files to my Comp. H/D

MIDI: MIDI Mode - Select this if you want to xchange MIDI messages with a sequencer or program

USB MIDI THRU Switch - Off/On When USB Mode is set to MIDI this switch Specifies whether MIDI messages received at the connector will be retransmitted from the MIDI out Connector(on) or Not(Off)

My fantom also has Coax MIDI-IN/Out/Thru Connectors On Back and Coax Digital I/O as well.

Now for the Korg..... Ready???

Basically I Use My Korg For Tracking and My Computer For Editing/ Mastering/ etc.. However I would like to be able to record both the audio/ MIDI from my keyboard straight into cubase sometimes thru my EMU or Thru the Korg then Thru my EMU to Cubase and then also be able to use it as a controller for soft synths.

As far as the korg goes when i am tracking I'd like it to sync with the fantom instead of trying to push both the play on the fantom and record on the korg at the same time trying to get each track to record at the same starting point each time. Archaic ...Iknow.

Then I'd also like to be able to have the Korg sync'd with the computer when i am transfering tracks over to cubase for the same reason. It's kinda hard to click the mouse and push play and get them to both start at the exact same time with each track.

Also, can the phantom/ Korg/ Cubase transmit/ receive all 16 tracks Audio and/or MIDI at the same time?

In One Sync/Tempo Area The Options are:

MASTER
SLAVE-MIDI
SLAVE-MTC
REMOTE
Sync Output - Off/On
Tempo Override - Off/On

The 2nd Area

MMC\MTC
MMC MOde - Master/Slave
MMC Output - Off/On
MTC Sync Output - Off/On
MTC Error Level - 0-10

MIDIPage Options

General

Device ID - 17

Transmit
Soft Thru - On/Off

Receive
Receive Exclusive On/Off
Receive GM System On/Off
Receive GS Reset On/Off

The Third Area
USB MIDI Area

USB MODE - MIDI/Storage
USB-MIDI Thru - Off/ON

Value:

MIDI: MIDI Mode - Select this if you want to xchange MIDI messages with a sequencer or program

USB MIDI THRU Switch - Off/On When USB Mode is set to MIDI this switch Specifies whether MIDI messages received at the connector will be retransmitted from the MIDI out Connector(on) or Not(Off)

My fantom also has Coax MIDI-IN/Out/Thru Connectors On Back and Coax Digital I/O as well.

Now for the Korg..... Ready???

In One Sync/Tempo Area The Options are:

MASTER
SLAVE-MIDI
SLAVE-MTC
REMOTE
Sync Output - Off/On
Tempo Override - Off/On

The 2nd Area

MMC\MTC
MMC MOde - Master/Slave
MMC Output - Off/On
MTC Sync Output - Off/On
MTC Error Level - 0-10

MIDIPage Options

General

Device ID - 17

Transmit
Soft Thru - On/Off

Receive
Receive Exclusive On/Off
Receive GM System On/Off
Receive GS Reset On/Off

The Third Area
USB MIDI Area

USB MODE - MIDI/Storage
USB-MIDI Thru - Off/ON

Value:

Now for the Korg..... Ready??? :eek:

MIDI In/MIDI OUT & Optical SPDIF I/O
Options Pages:

MIDI Settings

Global Channel - 01
Program Change - Transmit/Receive
Mixer Control: Control Change - Transmit/Receive

Syncronization Settings

MTC Slave: Off/On
Select MIDI Sync Mode: MTC Master/MTC Slave/Clock Master/ Off
MTC Error Level: 0-10

MMC Settings

MMC:
Select MMC Mode: TRansmit/ Receive/Off
MMC Device ID: 000-127

Now For The Sound Card:

The Sound card has

MIDI In/Out
Optical I/O
Coax Digital SPDIF I/O
2 each - 1/4" I's & O's

& It Uses Patch Mix DSP to route the signals to the programs in my computer.

Sorry to have bombarded you with so much info. I just want to make sure you have what you need to help me. I've been trying to work this problem out for about 2 years now and have yet to come across some one who was willing to take the time.

Thanks man!!!!
God Bless You.
If you need to ask me anything else...I'll be up for a while... If not i'll catcha tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Alison
PoePoeProductions

You will need to add this to your setup -
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Computer/Hardware?sku=702504

Now I'm going explain one way to set up your gear:

Fantom --> Korg to control transport functions with Midi Machine Control (MMC).

First, find the 'Local On/Off' switch inside the Fantom and set it to 'Off'. This will break the connection between the keyboard and the sound source inside. Next, plug the midi out of the Fantom into the midi in of the Midi Solutions Thru box. Then plug one of the 4 outputs of it into the midi in of the Korg.

Set the Fantom to MMC mode = Master, and MMC output = on. Set the Korg to MMC 'recieve' mode. The device number should match on the Fantom and the Korg.

Next stage -- integrating Cubase.

Plug the next output of the Midi Solutions Thru box into the midi in of the Emu soundcard --- the midi input for Cubase. Without being concerned with the thru box this time, plug the midi out of the Emu soundcard into the midi in of the Fantom. Then put Cubase in Slave mode. It will tell you in the manual how to do this if you are not sure. You will be controlling everything including the tempo from the Fantom.

Next, the audio outputs. Fortunately the Fantom has four outputs so you can plug the first two into the Korg and the second two into the Emu 404 left and right audio ins.

Get this all set up --- including the thru box which is a necessary component for the setup you are looking for --- and get back to me.

In the meantime, here are links to four good articles on midi basics.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/aug95/midibasics1.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/sep95/midibasics2.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/oct95/midibasics3.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/nov95/midibasics4.html

Then put Cubase in Slave mode

No midi slave mode in cubase SX :( The Slave mode in SX only relates to word clock, not MTC or sync.

The real sticking point in your setup is the conflict between the korg and cubase. They both do the same thing with audio but cubase has a midi sequencer built into it and they are not very compatable with each other so I would consider sticking to one or the other. i'm not familiar with the phantom but if that has a decent midi sequencer built into it, you should be able to work with just the korg and roland.

As far as transfering track off the korg into cubase, I would use the spdif, slave the Korg to cubase, and send the tracks one at a time

Back