Cheapest 1x1 usb midi interface that doesn't suck

scrubs

Not of sound mind
So, I have a Tascam US-122 that I'm thinking of selling, since I don't use it for audio anymore, but still occasionally want it as a MIDI interface for my keyboard. I don't use midi much, but would still like to have the connectivity. Seems like a waste to keep it around if I could just replace it with a little USB MIDI I/O. The cheapest ones (M-Audio UNO, etc.) seem to be around $30-40 and get horrible reviews on Musician's Friend, with many folks saying they don't work, break quickly, system errors, etc. Are these worth purchasing, or should I just keep the tascam? Is there one in the $30-40 range that is clearly better/more reliable than the others? Sorry if this question gets asked every day. Thanks!

I'd look for a Emagic AMT8 on ebay/craigslist - I've seen a fair anount of them going for about $50 recently. They're a good 8x8 midi patchbay. It's overkill if all you want is a 1x1, but it would give you more flexibility if you could score one.

scrubs said:
So, I have a Tascam US-122 that I'm thinking of selling, since I don't use it for audio anymore, but still occasionally want it as a MIDI interface for my keyboard. I don't use midi much, but would still like to have the connectivity. Seems like a waste to keep it around if I could just replace it with a little USB MIDI I/O. The cheapest ones (M-Audio UNO, etc.) seem to be around $30-40 and get horrible reviews on Musician's Friend, with many folks saying they don't work, break quickly, system errors, etc. Are these worth purchasing, or should I just keep the tascam? Is there one in the $30-40 range that is clearly better/more reliable than the others? Sorry if this question gets asked every day. Thanks!

scrubs said:
...and get horrible reviews on Musician's Friend...
Consider who the core customer base at Musician's Friend is --- teenage beginners who want instant gratification, and if they don't get it they use the word 'sucks' a lot. (No offense)

Then consider how much their average customer knows or cares about midi.

That's the amount of stock I put in those MF 'ratings' --- none. I've bought and hated stuff from them and only after returning it while looking for an alternative on their web site did I realize that I had returned the top rated piece in the category.

The MAudio Uno is a good piece of equipment that won't take the amount of abuse an average teenager gives it. If you're careful with it and follow the usual 'visit the manufacturers web site to download the latest drivers' routine, you won't have a problem.

If the keyboard in question has a USB port, that's just a different way to get midi data into your programs rather than using a traditional midi cable.

I've got a Yamaha UX-16 (or whatever the "uno" equivalent is) and it's been rock solid from day 1. Have connected several different control surfaces to my PC and to my Mac in the last year with it, and have never had a single issue.

Thanks for the help, guys. Maybe behringer will rip-off the UNO and sell it for $10 soon.

Back