Cheap audio interface for working mostly with MIDI

Olihen

Hi
I am looking for some cheap but decent soundcard.
What I will be using it for:
I will work 90% with VSti but I will also have external keyboard with its own sounds connected (Yamaha Motif XS8).
I want to record live only vocals so it will need phantom, but i need only one input. I will probably never record any other instruments than the vocal

I am a beginner and i also need to know how to connect all the things.
How do I connect computer and keyboard with its own sounds so I will hear both of them from my headphones? Is it possible to do within the audio interface if it has some audio input or do i need some small mixer?

I did a little reading, would still require some more investigation, but your machine has a lot going on. Since it has drivers for both Apple OS and Windows, looks like you can use it as your interface. Putting a mixer or some sort of mic preamp/with phantom (mixer or rack interface) into the inputs could get you there. If you don't use it as your DAW interface, then you would be limited to using only the MIDI part of the workstation and need another interface for inputs.

But I suggest working with what you have and playing with the inputs to see what this machine brings to the table. Therefore, get the drivers, get a DAW (Reaper is free to try and fully functional), see how to get you machine to interact. I will say, there is a lot going on there and I would have to experiment with it to understand it full functionality. But it looks like it has a lot.

Hope this helps a little.

If you are just using Midi for inputting key info to the computer you can hook up your keyboard to the computer with a USB cord. There are plenty of interfaces with midi and XLR/1/4 inch inputs. You should probably get an interface that can record two tracks because you don't want to limit yourself if you need a second track. Interfaces can be set up as a default audio output on your computer. You connect your recording items (mics and inputs) to the interface, interface to the computer and then your headphones to the interface.

Back