Can I use my MIDI controller keyboard as with a synth module?

Istvan Medgyesi

Hi, I'm a MIDI newbie. I have an Akai MPK261, and am considering buying a waldorf Blofeld module. Can I use the Akai to control the Blofeld without being tied to a computer?

I'm putting my money on 'yes'.

The Akai has midi DIN in and out, and the Waldorf Blofield has midi DIN in. A simple MIDI DIN to DIN cable should work.

However, you will have to figure out how to change channels, patches and so on, and you will need to route the WB's audio out to something to be able to hear it.

I was under the impression you didn't want to be tied to a computer?

However, just about any DAW will allow you to accept a MIDI in and then direct it out to a specific channel on a sound module, and to set program changes and so on. You would need a midi interface for the computer. The path would be:

keyboard > interface > computer > interface > module

If you don't want to use a computer it's fine - the Blofield has the majority of it's functionality available from it's front panel, so plug in the master keyboard and tweak away. The module version appears to really be the same as the keyboard, just without the keyboard. As long as your master keyboard has the usual facilities, pb, mod, sustain etc, it is fine. If you have a clever master keyboard then access to more parameters is simpler. However, you do need to connect the module to computer for some of the functions to work. Also a computer is required for activation and loading in external sound sets. This applies to the keyboard version too.

Check out page 34 of the User Guide:

1. Power Input: If you do not want to use a computer in your setup (i.e., if you are using MPK261 to control an external MIDI module), connect MPK261's power input to a power outlet using an optional power adapter (6V DC, 1A, centerpositive, sold separately). Alternatively, you can connect MPK261's USB Port to a power outlet using a standard USB charger (sold separately).

Back