Boosting velocity in

BroKen_H

Re-member
Okay, I'm recording drums with an Alesis DM10 Studio kit through SSD4 in Reaper. Can't get the kit to sound out no matter how hard I beat on the pads. Is there a way to boost the midi velocity signals either out of the DM10 or into Reaper/SSD4?

Is there a way to universally boost midi equally in Reaper like you could in Cakewalk (by a set number OR percentage there).

Thanks in advance!

Are you sure that you're getting the MIDI signal into Reaper? Correct device, channel, etc set as the input source? If you record, is it recording MIDI events, or nothing at all?

If I ever want to alter the velocity of multiple hits in Reaper's piano roll editor, I either right-click and drag to select multiple events, or ctrl+A to select all events. Then you can hover your mouse over a single event until the cursor changes to the up/down arrow, and click+drag up or down to adjust velocity.

Does the Alesis kit allow you to fiddle with the pad velocity in its menu? Might be worth trying that as well.

Are you sure that you're getting the MIDI signal into Reaper? Correct device, channel, etc set as the input source? If you record, is it recording MIDI events, or nothing at all?

If I ever want to alter the velocity of multiple hits in Reaper's piano roll editor, I either right-click and drag to select multiple events, or ctrl+A to select all events. Then you can hover your mouse over a single event until the cursor changes to the up/down arrow, and click+drag up or down to adjust velocity.

Does the Alesis kit allow you to fiddle with the pad velocity in its menu? Might be worth trying that as well.

Yes, the hits record, but max velocity for hits is about 96...and that when I'm REALLY bangin' it. I'd have to hit the pads with hammers to register a 127.

I've fiddled the kit up as max as I can without losing all sense of dynamics, I've set Trigger Sensitivity (overall on HIGH, and individual triggers boosted), Curves set to LOG 3 or 4. That's all I can find that pushes anything up on the kit.

So it looks like CTRL-A and click drag. Thanks much for that. :)

Wow, that's surprising. Especially since it's across all of the pads, so it's not like one pad is on the fritz.

You might even try a factory reset on the kit, just to make sure some global option isn't set, and without having to go through every parameter in the book.

I can't think of any Reaper option off-hand that would act like an input velocity pad/attenuator.

Are you, in fact, Superman, and near a source of Kryptonite? Maybe all the strength you have isn't enough :)

If you can't hit 127 then your triggers aren't set up correctly, but you can insert JS Velocity Adjust before the VSTi and do whatever you need to there in realtime. Reaper doesn't have the kind of built in track controls that some other DAWs do (velocity, transpose), but it does come with plugins that do the se thing with much more flexibility.

If you can't hit 127 then your triggers aren't set up correctly, but you can insert JS Velocity Adjust before the VSTi and do whatever you need to there in realtime. Reaper doesn't have the kind of built in track controls that some other DAWs do (velocity, transpose), but it does come with plugins that do the se thing with much more flexibility.

Don't know what else to do to get more send from the triggers. Been through the entire manual about 5 times now. I've considered for a long time that this unit is defective. Sometimes things I work on for hours and save just aren't there when I go back. Very frustrating. Sometimes they are. When I'm working on stuff, I save about every 15 minutes; turn it off and on about every hour so I'm sure I haven't lost huge amounts of stuff.

Has taken me a year to get the pads "playable" and still wish I'd waited for the mesh pad unit. Not confident in my own abilities to do the conversion...anyway, not the point.

Thanks for the JS plug. I'm not a Reaper user by nature, or by choice. I only use it for my drums as SSD isn't compatible with Reason and Kong is very limited/difficult.

Back