Best Piano VST Instrument

cobaltblue

Hello

Wasnt sure which forum to pop this in so apologies if you feel it's in the wrong place.

I've acquired a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 but the onboard sound module is broken.

I plan to use it as a midi controller as it gives a midi signal fine

Can you suggest the best free and paid for VST instruments for a decent acoustic Piano sound. I've been using MrRay73 for a rhodes emulator and that's bloody brilliant and free.

Ive been told Steinberg The Grand is great but it's very expensive.

Thanks

That 4front is actually pretty good. I've used it on some stuff.

Native Instruments Band Stand may be an option for you too.

lapieuvre said:
When people hear what I do with Garritan personnal orchestra they think I recorded a real piano

Thierry

Yeah, I love that piano in GPO. I think it's a concert grand (Steinway).

I also use SampleTank which has a couple real decent pianos.

I have Native instrument (absynth 3) but it only there 4 setting for Piano, and the sound has too much reverb. can someone here tell me what I need to do for the better piano sound with this vst.

have'nt had a chance to try it personally but the guys at keyboard mag are talking about a new one called pianotek....if memory serves it uses a very small sample set so doesnt require a lot of streaming and then uses some convolution technology...

Now that this tread came back to life, I'll add something...

Just purchased the Black Grand samples from SampleTekk a couple days ago for use in Kontakt. Wow! I'm very pleased with this purchase and particularily like the close miked samples - real in your face and great for jazz. I contemplated the White Grand samples as well, and may end up getting those too. Pretty beefy download - up there towards 2 gigs broken in to several zip files, but I like having things NOW.

http://www.sampletekk.com/index.php

I still like the concert grand in GPO, but seriously like this new find much better - very inspiring to me.

dont worry mike the rest of those guys still haven't bought one yet....:rolleyes:

btw are you the same guy that used to rep kurz???

I just bought the Bosendorfer Imperial by Vienna Symphonic Library and it's absolutely fantastic. I got it for about $230.00. Some folks complain that the bosendorfer has too bright of a sound and can only be used in Classical settings but you can fix that with eq.

You can hear some demos here:
http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/478/449/671/388.htm

Or if you want to fork over $800.00 you can get VSL's Vienna Imperial. At 1200 samples PER KEY! it's arguably the best piano soft synth on the market hands down.

http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/478/1701/1705/1308.htm

Looks and sounds great, but yeh a tad expensive.

Any decent free ones out there?

Cobalt, you have asked a question that many many people have on this forum. The word "decent", "good", or "great" doesn't seem to play well with the word "free" when dealing with audio.

I use sampletank 2.5 XL, and I love it. I paid $200 for the program, and it has several nice pianos, two of them I would call great. Philharmonic also has a couple that sound good too, but there again, another $200 program. My recommendation to you would be to wait until IK throws out another promo like the buy one get one free (and they will, just wait for it), and you can have a library of more than just good sounding pianos. I would buy ST 2.5 anyway, because it rocks.

Good luck!

Why don't you view the comparison and see what's best for your needs? top-10-piano-vst-plugins.cluejack.com/

I think it depends on what you want to do, I use different VSTs for if its say a solo classical piano, or a piano trying to fit into a mix of other instruments

Back