Automating patch changes across multiple keyboards

Jknowlton1

Is there anyway to automate a patch change signal sent to multiple keyboards? (I.e. Signal sent from computer changes K1 to patch 5, K2 to patch 200, K3 to patch 94...etc)

I think I saw a similar thing being down by a keyboard player for billy joel(?) who uses an iPad to send a midi signal to his main stages (two duplicate versions), as well as his kurzweil all at once.

I should think that just about any DAW, sequencer, or other MIDI app that can send MIDI messages to a device should be able to do something like that, although you'd obviously need to set it up, and the specific setup-- as well as options for triggering the sends-- might vary a good bit from program to program.

For example, if you're using a DAW, you could use its MIDI editing facilities (piano roll, automation tracks, etc.) to create a series of Control Change, Program Change, SysEx, and other events on different tracks, with each track directed to a particular MIDI port, and save it as a "song," clip, etc. Then when you play the song or clip in the DAW it will send the messages to all of your devices. But DAWs can vary as to their MIDI capabilities and features-- e.g., with regard to whether or not they let you use SysEx messages, or how sophisticated their MIDI track automation editing is, etc.

As far as apps for tablets, there are a number of "launchpad"-type apps that let you assign MIDI events to a grid of "pad" controllers, or maybe even let you design your own panel of controllers (knobs, wheels, sliders, buttons, etc.). One such app that I know of for the iPad is MIDI Designer (MIDI Designer :: dream | create | play :: your perfect MIDI controller (for iOS)). I've seen a number of presumably similar apps for Android, but haven't tried them yet.

If you're on Windows, a number of gigging keyboardists who hang out at the Keyboard magazine forum love Cantabile (https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/), but it's just for Windows-- you can run it from a compatible Windows device, but there are no versions available for Mac, iOS, Linux, or Android.

. . . and don't forget that many MIDI keyboards/devices have internal PATCH CHANGE TABLES. E.g., send out a program change message for patch 2 and KB1 can be set to interpret this as "2 means 30", KB2 interprets as "2 means 46", KB3 interprets as "2 means 121", etc. Even guitar MFX pedals as old as the DigiTech RP2000 and GNX series had this feature. Check your manual(s).

Another thing to be aware of in this context is that different keyboards generally number the first 128 patches as either 0-127 or 1-128. Not a major adjustment but you have to be aware of it. Again, consult the maunual(s)

Paj
8^)

Back