2011 Macbook Pro; 16gb RAM
Komplete Audio 6 Interface
SP (Moog Slim Phatty) synth
P6 (DSI Prophet 6) synth
Axiom Midi Keyboard

Axiom connected to Mac by USB
P6 connected to Mac by USB
SP connected to Mac by USB

Both synths are set to receive MIDI data by USB.
Both are set to receive on "ALL" MIDI channels.

However, I can't get any sound out when I play the keyboard.
Both synths are connected to KA6 inputs 1 & 2.

I can not draw connection lines inside the Audio Midi Setup between any devices.
How do I get this to work?

Hello,

Before you go any further - does each individual device play if it's connected on it's own?

If it does, then the problem is that the setup isn't giving you an equiv of midi THRU.

If the devices do not work individually, then the problem is elsewhere, i.e. the USB link, or the cable, or any USB driver.

Oh, you say devices set to receive on 'ALL channels. Is that so? I've certainly seen keyboards that receive ONLY on certain channels, so ALL channels might just mean - all the ones they CAN receive on. Devices like Tone Modules do usually receive on (literally) ALL channels.

Geoff

Further to the above, I wonder if you've got things somewhat mixed up - however, I know nothing about any of the devices you mention.

I would have expected that the computer should be connected to the KA6 via USB. The keyboard, which I assume is going to produce the midi data, should be connected to the midi in on the KA6. The Synths, which I assume are going to produce the sounds in response to the midi data produced by the keyb, should be connected (daisy-chained) to the midi OUT on the KA6. The three keybs should all be set to send/receive midi data, they can only receive USB data if they're directly connected via USB to something else, and the KA6 device I see on the web has one USB connector only?

I'm not sure why you would connect the synths to any IN on the KA6, unless you're mixing up the ideas of the MIDI data and the AUDIO data??

Geoff

Re the synths, the IN on the first synth should be connected to the midi OUT on the KA6. For the second synth in line, the midi IN should be connected to the THRU on the first synth.

Maybe that will at least do something??

It sounds like you're trying to use the Axiom to control the two synths via MIDI, then capture the audio output of the synths-- did I understand correctly?

What are you using for a DAW on the Mac? How are the audio and MIDI connections set up in the DAW? I would think that something like the following should work:

- Track 1 receiving MIDI input on one or more channels from the Axiom.
- Track 1 sending MIDI output on one or more channels to the SP.

- Track 2 receiving MIDI input on one or more channels from the Axiom.
- Track 2 sending MIDI output on one or more channels to the P6.

- Track 3 receiving audio input from KA6 audio output 1 (SP?).

- Track 4 receiving audio input from KA6 audio output 2 (P6?).

In some DAWs you might be able to combine the two MIDI tracks by sending to multiple outputs:

- Track 1 receiving MIDI input on one or more channels from the Axiom.
- Track 1 sending MIDI output on one or more channels to the SP.
- Track 1 sending MIDI output on one or more channels to the P6.

Also, you may or may not need to arm the MIDI track(s) to get the DAW to receive and send the MIDI data "live" without actually recording it-- some DAWs may let the MIDI data through without needing to arm the track(s), while others may not let the MIDI data through unless the track/s is/are armed.

Just a couple od thoughts, been a while!
As suggested, I would connect everything via DINs through the KA6. The only need for a USB connection would be power AFAICS?

Was a DAW mentioned? The KA6 comes with Cubase, hard to beat for MIDI.

Dave.

KA6 is connected to computer by USB.
Prophet 6 is connected to computer by USB.
Slim Phatty is connected to computer by USB.
P6 and SP can receive MIDI data by USB.
Therefore, there should be no need for MIDI cables.

Axiom MIDI keyboard controller is connected to computer by USB and is working perfectly fine for triggering software.

I thought that since the synth is connected to computer by USB and can receive MIDI data through USB, I can just play the MIDI keyboard and it would trigger the synth without the need for using a DAW. Is this possible?

I might be wrong (and I'm not familiar with Macs), but I think you need some sort of program running on the computer that will take the MIDI messages that are being received from the Axiom and send them to the two synths-- if not a DAW, then at least some sort of MIDI yoke utility. After all, how is the computer supposed to know that you want it to accept the MIDI messages from the Axiom and redirect them to the two synths? For all it knows, you might want the MIDI messages to go to some sort of MIDI player that will use a built-in MIDI soft synth to render the MIDI data into music. But a DAW should give you more flexibility with regard to how the MIDI messages are handled. And I don't understand why you would need or want to bring the KA6 interface into the picture unless you're planning to record the audio output of the two synths, in which case the thought of using a DAW to send the Axiom's MIDI messages to the two synths shouldn't be a show-stopper.

I quite agree that having everything plugged up via USB maybe can be made to work but why reinvent the wheel?

MIDI kit has been working over DIN for decades and the KA6 has excellently low latency and will make a first class MIDI interface.

Recording (or monitoring) the synth outputs is a trivial matter of connecting them to the AI's 4 line inputs, unless one of the synths has a S/PDIF out? Many do.

I am also with other here and am convinced there is need for SOME software.

Dave.

MIDI kit has been working over DIN for decades and the KA6 has excellently low latency and will make a first class MIDI interface.

I'm with you on everything but the above-- and I don't think the KA6 has enough MIDI ports for that, anyway?

If I've understood what the OP is trying to accomplish, connecting to the KA6 via MIDI isn't needed-- just connect the Axiom's MIDI Out to the MIDI In of synth 1, and connect the MIDI Thru of synth 1 to the MIDI In of synth 2. Then connect both synths to the KA6 (and from there to the computer) via audio cables to capture their sonic output.

The only benefits of sending the Axiom's MIDI messages to the computer (whether via USB or MIDI DIN) and then back out to the two synths would be (1) if the MIDI messages are to be recorded or (2) if the MIDI messages are to be processed in some way using software-- e.g., to change their channel numbers, create splits based on the Note values, or create layers by copying the Note events to multiple channels-- before sending them on to the two synths.

I think the main issue here is the OP needs some software to control MIDI.

The DIN connection would need to be chained as there are usually only two, sometime three for a thru, but the technology was intended to be chained, hence the channels. But with USB, there is no need, plus the synths are all USB capable. The USB shouldn't cause any problems.

I still use DIN because I have old equipment, but wouldn't hesitate to use USB if the equipment was produced that way. I do not like DIN to USB plugs as they seem to not work very well. But OEM USB should not be an issue.

Ok, so I guess I have to use MIDI cables. The KA6 only has 1 midi IN and OUT. How can I connect both synths to it so that inside PT; I can record midi notes and have them trigger which ever synth I choose? Since there is only 1 midi OUT, do I have to unplug and replug into whatever synth I want this to happen? Or is there a better way without having to unplug and replug midi cables?

What you might do is to just get it working. Keep it simple. Use the midi bits. Once it's all working, then by all means try the USB options, bit by bit, if you like/need to.

As for the midi connections, Keybd (OUT) to KA6 (IN). KA6 (OUT) to Synth1 (IN). Synth1 (THRU) to Synth 2.

Then, use the channels. Keybd transmits Channel c1. PT (you didn't mention that before - Pro Tools ?) receives c1. Transmits ch2 & 3 Synth1 set to receive channel c2, synth 2 set to receive c3. The Moog is monophonic (?), so that only needs the one channel. The other synth ?? Then PT controls which synth gets which data. I think that's what you want?

Again, make it fancier bit by bit, once it's working.

Geoff

Hello All!! Question here!

I am a MIDI newbie in every since of the word!!
I have a connected my Yamaha YPT-310 keyboard to my laptop. I have connected my MIO usb interface from my keyboard ports to the laptop.
I have opened LMMS recording program and used open the Midi capability and installed the drivers.

When I attempt to use the VST Instruments from LMMS, those notes are sticking/sustaining.
I only press a midi key and sometimes it will be a delay or a note that is sticking or sustained.

How can I prevent this?

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Please reply here or email- ItsAshleyOnly@gmail.com

Hello All!! Question here!

I am a MIDI newbie in every since of the word!!
I have a connected my Yamaha YPT-310 keyboard to my laptop. I have connected my MIO usb interface from my keyboard ports to the laptop.
I have opened LMMS recording program and used open the Midi capability and installed the drivers.

When I attempt to use the VST Instruments from LMMS, those notes are sticking/sustaining.
I only press a midi key and sometimes it will be a delay or a note that is sticking or sustained.

How can I prevent this?

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Please reply here or email- ItsAshleyOnly@gmail.com

Sorry to tell you friend but IMHO you have bought cheap and are now paying for it.

About 5 years ago things like that MIDI interface were being touted and then they were often the source of trouble such as you have found. Then USB AUDIO interfaces became popular and they ALMOST ALWAYS sported MIDI ports! (as did any decent PCI cards that came before them) .

Now you have to be careful when buying an AI to ensure it has MIDI I/O. One that does and is about the cheapest really good one (£100) is the Steinberg UR22.
You also need an AI because at present the audio conversion is being done by the onboard PC sound system and they are crap at it.

Dave.

MIO? LMMS? What OS are you running on your laptop?

From what I've heard, if you have a Yamaha keyboard with MIDI ports but no USB-MIDI port then you might experience issues with third-party interfaces. For the best results you generally want to get Yamaha's own USB-MIDI interface (UX16) so you can use Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver.

Anyway, the symptoms you've described could be due to high latency, buffer settings that need to be adjusted, etc. It might help if we knew more details about your laptop's OS, CPU, speed, memory, sound card, etc.

Back