9 Physical MIDI Faders to Unlimited Software Faders - Reaper 5.x

cecerre

I picked up a new MIDI controller that has 9 faders. I am mapping each physical fader the corresponding software fader. When I get to fader 9, I am out of physical faders. I am hoping there is some kind of MIDI shift or something I am missing in order to map the same 9 physical faders to additional channels so they continue to exclusively control only 1 fader at a time beyond just the first 9 channels. As it stands, I can only use the faders on the first 9 channels. Seems like I am missing something basic, perhaps one of you with experience in mapping faders can assist?

Host - Reaper 5.x

Controller - Novation Launchkey61

Thanks,

-PC

Can you not just add the LaunchKey as a control surface in Reaper? Here are a couple of people who have been able to add it as an OSC control surface in Reaper: Anyone using a Novation Launchkey 49 - Cockos Confederated Forums

And from the LaunchKey's manual:

Track I / H
The two Track I / H buttons [13] are only operative in InControl mode. They allow you to ‘step’
the slider(s) between tracks or instruments in your DAW.
On Launchkey 49 and 61, the Track I / H buttons step through the DAW tracks in banks of eight,
re-assigning the eight sliders to control the next set of tracks accordingly.
On Launchkey 25, the single slider can be stepped through consecutive DAW tracks in the same
manner by successive presses of Track I / H.
Note that the action of the Track buttons can differ slightly between DAWs; for example, Logic
Pro automatically selects the next bank of eight tracks when you step from the “last” track in a
bank of eight; e.g., stepping from track 8 to track 9 switches the controlled tracks from 1-8 to 9-16.

I picked up a new MIDI controller that has 9 faders.
Okay, so you got my attention right there.

9 faders? in a digital world ruled by 2s and 8s? You know something is up, right? It is.

Any time you see 9 faders it's because someone wants to play Hammond. Hammonds have 9 drawbars and there was a short-lived demand for a full drawbar package. Kurzweil did this on their stuff (2500 and 2600) too.

As a result, those faders are usually made to map to one of the elective CC values used on various Clonewheel modules. Sometimes they don't do much else. I'm pretty sure your controller is not going to shift anything. I've never heard of such a function, anyway. Once it's set, it's set.

On your controller, when you move any given fader, it's gonna squirt info on, say, CC69. How exactly would you "shift" that? And to where? You could do a little mousing and tell Reaper that NOW CC69 oughta really be CC73 by having it *re-map* the input. And maybe even shift again. But that seems far more confusing than it's worth. That is, you'd be far ahead to just use on-screen faders with your mouse.

Hope that helps.... somehow.

Ponder5

I picked up a new MIDI controller that has 9 faders. I am mapping each physical fader the corresponding software fader. When I get to fader 9, I am out of physical faders. I am hoping there is some kind of MIDI shift or something I am missing in order to map the same 9 physical faders to additional channels so they continue to exclusively control only 1 fader at a time beyond just the first 9 channels. As it stands, I can only use the faders on the first 9 channels. Seems like I am missing something basic, perhaps one of you with experience in mapping faders can assist? Host - Reaper 5.x Controller - Novation Launchkey61 Thanks, -PC

Hi! Were you able to figure this one out?

Back