88-key MIDI controller worth it or not?

calimoose

I've always wanted to learn piano which is why I'm considering getting an 88-key MIDI controller (MIDI controller over a keyboard because I think it gives a wider range of sonic capabilities).

Is an 88-key MIDI controller overkill? Because the only reason I would get 88-key vs a smaller one is to represent a full scale piano. But if 61 or (even 49?) would be enough to seriously learn piano, then it would also make more sense (both from a budget and space standpoint).

Thanks

If it really is piano you want to learn, not just keyboard, then a fully weighted key action is what you need so that it actually feels something like playing a real piano.
It may seem a minor point but actually using a semi weighted or synth type keyboard won't give you the response of a piano.
Again, for piano, pedals are a necessity. You must, at the very least, have a sustain pedal.
If you intend to use virtual instruments then an expression pedal is also highly recommended.

In which case you may well find that you can only buy a fully weighted action in a controller of at least 76 keys. Most will be 88.
Virtually all other keyboards come with transpose buttons that let you set the 49 or 61 keys in whatever octaves you need to play.

It is probably fair to say that as you begin the learning process, the outer octaves, both high and low, are almost unused and, generally, it is the centre five octaves that are the most used.

So initially if you can find a 61 note fully weighted action controller with sockets for sustain and expression pedals, that may be the least expensive entry point.

However, if it really is piano you want to learn then it's probable that a Yamaha CLP or CVP (or their equivalent from another manufacturer) might perhaps be the best choice.

In my opinion.

John.

Johns said it - one important thing is that you CAN learn piano on unweighted keys, BUT - the first time you try to play on a real piano, you fail badly! All the clever little twiddly finger runs you painstakingly learned don't work when your muscles can't press the heavier keys fast enough!

Thanks guys, regardless of how many keys I'll decide on, I'll certainly go for fully weighted keys. My main question is regarding how many keys is sufficient to really learn the piano. To be honest I'd like to get an 88-key controller to really give myself a chance to learn, but my apartment is so damn small it makes certain musical ambitions difficult to realize.

So I guess what I'm asking is, in the scenario where I will not be able to get an 88-key controller, what's the minimum number of keys necessary to learn left and right hand fingering, scales, etc to properly play the piano?

Probably a dumb question but what can I say, I really want to learn but the lack of room (and living with a non-musical girlfriend....) complicates things.

It's a little difficult to answer that question, because it really depends on what pieces of music you want to learn to play. But generally speaking, the more keys, the better-- 88, 76, 61, or 49 keys, in that order of preference. You certainly wouldn't want to go with anything less than 49 keys if you're wanting to learn piano. 49 keys will let you play all the notes on the grand staff, plus a few ledger lines above and below, but piano music does often use notes a good ways above and below the grand staff. Anything beyond the keyboard's range can probably still be reached by shifting the keyboard up or down a few octaves-- even an 88-key 'board will need to be shifted to reach the full 128-note range for MIDI-- although some keyboards might not allow shifting up or down enough octaves to hit all 128 notes.

If, by "learn" you mean classical music/jazz, then having all the keys are important 'cause that stuff's all over the place. If you mean learn theory like scales and chord structures. You can do that with a 25 key controller...

AFA placing notes in midi sequence to make music, you can use a simple keyboard and do as Michael suggests with shifting octaves.

But to truly PLAY the piano, get at least 76 keys...Play some REAL pianos (Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai, Baldwin) and get a feel for what they "feel" like and then find a keyboard that has something near that same feel.

If, by "learn" you mean classical music/jazz, then having all the keys are important 'cause that stuff's all over the place. If you mean learn theory like scales and chord structures. You can do that with a 25 key controller...

AFA placing notes in midi sequence to make music, you can use a simple keyboard and do as Michael suggests with shifting octaves.

But to truly PLAY the piano, get at least 76 keys...Play some REAL pianos (Steinway, Yamaha, Kawai, Baldwin) and get a feel for what they "feel" like and then find a keyboard that has something near that same feel.

Ya I feel like getting a 25 key would be like starting of with a 2i2 then realizing you wanna record a full kit and MIDI. I don't wanna be stuck in that situation, so I'm looking for any solution other than 88-key which is simply too big for my current apartment. Good to know that 76 key could do the trick, I'll definitely look around.

It's times like these when I wish I was still stateside where I can just drop in my local GC and test out any instrument I want. Here in France, it's either impossible to test products or impossible to do so without supervision...les batards !

If you want to learn to play the piano, then you have to learn it on a piano. An acoustic instrument is just different. Hand strength, timing, arm position, etc. When my kids were learning piano, I bought a piano (I understand it isn't an option), they learned on a piano for the obvious reasons. They switched to keyboards, but it was easier going from piano to keyboards than the other way around.

I would suggest focus on good keyboarding skills and hope that works for your needs.

I've always wanted to learn piano which is why I'm considering getting an 88-key MIDI controller (MIDI controller over a keyboard because I think it gives a wider range of sonic capabilities).

Is an 88-key MIDI controller overkill? Because the only reason I would get 88-key vs a smaller one is to represent a full scale piano. But if 61 or (even 49?) would be enough to seriously learn piano, then it would also make more sense (both from a budget and space standpoint).

Thanks

88 key is not overkill imo. As you develop your playing skills you'll find yourself using the entire keyboard and even transposing full octaves to reach even more notes than 88 keys can cover. If you want to learn piano, but can't outright buy one, then an 88 key midi controller with weighted keys and some type of software/hardware synth is a cost effective alternative imo.

There is much to be said for "if you want to play piano, buy a piano", but as you've said, with space restrictions a keyboard may be the only practical way.

You should be able to get away with learning on a 61 or better much better a 76 key instrument with fully weighted keys.
As long as you don't expect to be able to make an instant conversion to 'the real thing'.

Trying both pianos and keyboards is really the only way.
A trip to Paris is perhaps called for?

There's a new (to me anyway) 76 key controller made by Physis called the K5 which looks interesting.
I'd like to try it's action. Here's a link to the Thomann site Physis Piano K5 - Thomann UK with details.
I don't know whether it's any good and cannot say whether it would suit you, but it looks interesting and isn't too expensive.

Added later: My bad, the 76 note K5 is only 'light' weighted. That's too often the case with anything less than the full 88.

Good luck,
John.

Last edited:
Well, if I were to recommend a 76, it would be the Nord Stage II, but that's probably not an option. Awesome keyboards though.

In an affordable vein, you'd be looking at something like the Yamaha P115, or Kawai ES-100. Both have great action, great piano sound, really decent tones and come in the ~600 euro bracket. Both have stereo out to capture its tones, but only the Kawai has midi. Don't know if the Yamaha USB port is a USB midi, but sometimes Yamaha uses their USB port for iOS/computer software hookup.

Bear in mind, both of those are 88key, but they're both VERY small footprint.

Back