yorkville apex 430

Magnum Pi

Does anyone besides Hornet endorse this mic? I am wondering because I am about to buy either two cheaper consensors or one slightly more expensive one.

I actually have two questions (please, PLEASE respond to both):

1) Does anyone else like the apex 430...I mean REALLY like it?

2) If you had the choice between two cheaper mics (Rode NT3, apex 430, etc..) OR one more expensive mic (Rode NT2, AT 4033, etc..) what would you do?

* Subquestion = regardless of the choice, what mic/mics would YOU choose? Feel free to choose a mic that I don't have listed.

Important Info: I will want to use the mic/mics for drum overheads, acoustic guitar and vocals.

I own an Apex 420 and prefer it over a 430. The 420 has 2 patterns, omni and cardioid. It's not a bad mic but An AT 4033 is a MUCH better mic. In the same price range I think the AKG C-3000 is a better over all mic. Just MHO ofcourse.
Your milage may vary.

Yo Surfboarding Magnum of PI Fame:

Remember, if you have a GOOD mic pre, that will enhance almost any mic to a certain degree.

I just talked to a friend in Toronto, VOODOO-Shama, and he gave me a good report about Yorkville products.

At the same time, he told me that, for the money, Berringer makes some good tools too.

I could do a tape of voice through the Apex 430 and send it to you; or I could send it to you on an MD-disc which would be a bit better if you had a vehicle to play the disc.

I do believe the Apex 430 is BETTER THAN THE AKG3000. I can't speak for other akg models since I don't own them. But, for sure, there are better mics out there. It depends on your ears, your wallet, and your goals.

Green Hornet

Hornet:

Right now I have a crappy mixer with only the built in mic pre (definitely not that great). However, I'm going to buy a Mackie 1604 with the new mic pres so I should be covered.

Wallet = damn near empty
Goals = as lofty as one can imagine

The thing is...i only have enough money to do one of two things concerning mics and I will not have MORE money anytime in the near future. As I've said, I want to either buy ONE good mic or TWO fair mics totaling right at $300. I'm mainly concerned with what I can accomplish with one good mic compared to two fair mics; the main concern there would be vocals and drum overheads. I know that I'll get better vocals with the better mic; HOWEVER, I'll loose the ability to stereo mic with the overhead because I'll only have one.

I DO have a couple of sm57s, one sm58, 3 Samson R11s, and various other cheap mics...if this makes a difference.

So...in summation...I really need some input from those of you what have been doing this a while. Am I going to get more mileage out of ONE good mic or TWO fair mics. Remember the $300 (or so) price tag.

Thanks guys!

You will get more mileage out of one good mic. In particular when tracking vocals, acoustic instruments, etc. I can't offer any opinion on the Apex, but I and a whole lotta other perople sure do like the 4033.

I assume you are considering two mics for various stereo applications (drum overheads, etc). Personally, I would rather track a good mono signal than a compromised stereo single.

Thanks a lot guys, this really helps. Indeed, Mike, I was concerned with getting a stereo signal (mostly from the drum overheads). I didn't know how much of a compromised sound I'd get going from the AT 4033 to say two Rode NT3s, but if all are in agreement that it would be best to go the ONE better mic route, then I believe that's the path I shall follow...

Now another question...Here are the mics I'm considering (keep in mind I live in a horrible city with no way of testing each before I buy, so I have to go on research and advice): Actually...I'm only considering two mics right now: The AT 4033 and the Rode NT2. I can get the Rode for 299 with shockmount and windscreen and the AT for 339 (I think) with only the shockmount. If anyone knows of a better deal or a better mic at that price level...please let me know. Remember....drum overhead, vocals, acoustic.
Thanks again!

Back