XLR Cable question

detuned6

Metal dude
Im not sure where to post this, so since cable pertains to mics, here we go.
I whant to be able to close both door's of my home studio to cut out as much bleed from the drum room into the control room. To this i need to have 30ft xlr cables. i have 20ft now. i was told that it is better to have a 30ft than linking two 20ft (or a 10ft &20) is this true?????? how much or do i loose any signal/quality.
Im really can't afford to buy all new cable right now.

heres the price's i came up with(musicians friend)
Horizon Pro- 20gage-30ft-$28
Conquest RA2-22gage-30ft-$22
T0 buy 5 of these willl cost me over $100

If there is not a big signal/ qty fate, i could link 2 20Ft together.
Monster Standard-20ft-$10 !!! (this is a REALLy GOOD DEAL)
I could get the all my cords long enough and get the control room door closed for $50.
Whats the best route i should go???????????

If you're handy with an iron you can get mogami, canare, etc cable for 50 to 80 cents a foot and build your cables to exact specifications.

Slackmaster 2000

Yes, that's what I did: Canare Starquad @ 0.65 ft and Neutrik XLR connectors @ $5.00 each. I also made my 1/4 balanced cables this way. Very high quality, very cheap.

And only a couple of iron burns on my left hand and a stiff neck.:p

Most of the time in pro studios the signel goes threw a short snake in the walls which is basicly the same thing as having two cables linked together.

For my studio I'm going to get some 8 or 12 channel cable and wire up a small snake just to clean things up a bit. Right now I only have 4 30ft cables and they are aways in a mess. So I'm going to get short 10' cables next time and have the snake run the distance.

so...... linking 2 cables together is the same if i had 1 cable that was long enough. But the longer the cable the more high/low you loose?? So a better cable (20 gage as oposed to cheap 24 gage) would be the best bet. Now if i can only make people understand "stop steping on my cables" !

Its not the same, there is a little more loss of signel but you will never notice the loss and its a normal thing todo.

In live audio we go 300' with mic cables and their are splits for montiors, subsnakes, 3 or 4 cables connected together on stage then going in to a snake . Also its mixed in and around power cables and lighting and stuff and 99% of our noise problems are from bad grounds and bad power.

As long as its a ballanced cable (usually xlr) you shouldn't have much to worry about. Un-ballanced cable on the other hand is a diffrent story.

With low impedance you can very conservatively run 100 feet of mic cable with no loss, bring it up to line level and it will be good for a thousand.

killer deals , thanks guys. I think im gonna pick up some of those Monster standard 20 ft for $10. Ive seen them at daddys and guitar center for over $20. So i get a deal and long enough cables. Bang for my buck.

Back