wow - mxl v69

laptoppop

Musical Technogeek
I had a recording session today with a very talented female singer. I put up a selection of microphones -
SP C1 (typically what sounds best on a couple of my main male artists)
SM7B (rarely find anything that sounds good on this, but I keep trying because Harvey likes it)
MXL 67 (often use this for background singers)
Oktava ml52 (cheap ribbon)
MXL 69 (tube)

In the past the 69 has been too dark for my taste. I've tried it a couple of times without liking it very much. But I knew it depends on the source material, so this morning I dutifully put it on the stand, let it warm up for an hour or so, and auditioned it next to the other mentioned microphones.

WOW -- I found a great use for it! The sound from this (on this one person's voice) was far and away the best. Rich, detailed, yet smooth.

I guess you never know what's going to sound good!

-lee-

I don't *know* if I have to let it warm up - but I figure its a tube mic, after all, so I'd expect the sound to change over the first few minutes. I wanted the sound to be consistent throughout the recording session.

I was running it into a Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer. I'm liking the Onyx preamps very much. I don't have the equipment to compare them with super expensive preamps, but for my price range they are working wonderfully.

-lee-

Yeah, not a bad idea to warm tubes on a variety of tubed equipment. I have tube pre-amps that I fire up and let warm up for about 1/2 or so before use.

Funny about the 69 - just when you think you may not have use for it, bam, just what you were looking for. I'd be curious to hear the final product of your sessions when you're done.

tvanveen said:
I had no idea...
Yeah, me neither.

I am such a poor singer that it takes me until the umpteenth take anyway before I get a “keeper” so by that time the mic is good and warm (and so am I :D ).

<<SM7B (rarely find anything that sounds good on this, but I keep trying because Harvey likes it)>>

if you're running this through those Mackie preamps, i'm not surprised you haven't found it sounding good on anything. much like the sm57 and 545, this mic shines best when used in conjunction with a *good* preamp.

the difference on my 545's when used with my Mackie 24*4, Symetrix 528 and VTB1 is really quite staggering. they both SMOKE the thin, boxy sound i get from the mackie.

i'm guessing that if you get a good preamp to mate with the SM7, you'll find it sounding a LOT better.....

and if not, i'll be glad to give you $200 for it. ;)

cheers,
wade

ok going back to this warm up thing...flatpicker said that it wasnt a bad idea for any condensor....meaning any tube condensor or any condensor period? cause i think i've been going about a few things all wrong

distortedrumble said:
ok going back to this warm up thing...flatpicker said that it wasnt a bad idea for any condensor....meaning any tube condensor or any condensor period? cause i think i've been going about a few things all wrong
A condensor needs a minute or two for the charge to fully build up (or dissipate when you power down), but a tube mic definitely needs to be warmed up longer. I remember seeing one post where the guy would turn on his tube mic and lava lamp at the same time, and when the lamp was warmed up he knew the mic was ready!

mrface2112 said:
<<SM7B (rarely find anything that sounds good on this, but I keep trying because Harvey likes it)>>

if you're running this through those Mackie preamps, i'm not surprised you haven't found it sounding good on anything. much like the sm57 and 545, this mic shines best when used in conjunction with a *good* preamp.

the difference on my 545's when used with my Mackie 24*4, Symetrix 528 and VTB1 is really quite staggering. they both SMOKE the thin, boxy sound i get from the mackie.

i'm guessing that if you get a good preamp to mate with the SM7, you'll find it sounding a LOT better.....

and if not, i'll be glad to give you $200 for it. ;)
cheers,
wade

I'm going to agree with this. When I first got my Sennheiser 421 it was completely unusable with the preamps on my Aardvark, which had always done a decent job with other mics. Once I got my RNP things completely changed. Dynamics need quite a bit of clean, quality gain. Don't give up on yours yet.

distortedrumble said:
There are two types of condensers - FET and Tube. You can use FET condensers after they've been on a few seconds. It's not super critical, but I'd let it warm up for at least 15-30 min. Tube condensers, otoh, require certain warm up times for things to stabilize and the sound be at it's best. Look at the documentation that came with the mic for recommended warm-up times.

MightyJoe said:
I know I don't need the micpre of the Focusrite b/c this V69 has its own power, right? :confused:
Wrong. The power supply is there merely to power the internal electronics of the '69. You still need a preamp to get the signal up to a usable level. And welcome to the board. :)

mrface2112 said:

Actually, I found out that I was using the SM7b wrong. It looked like a large diaphram condensor, and I was trying to use it from the side, not the end. Once I pointed the dang thing in the right direction, it sounds pretty sweet.

In terms of Mackie preamps - be careful. Mackie has made a bunch of different preamps over the years, with wildly varying sonic characteristics. I'm using the latest Onyx preamps, and they are sounding VERY good on lots of material. You really can't just say "Mackie Preamps" and cover the whole range - there's a lot of differences. The Onyx preamps are good clean solid preamps. OK, Mackie marketing hype is over the top, but they sound better to my poor old ears than the old *8 desks, which have made a ton of hits.

-lee-

Yo Laptoppop. Aside from the fact that the SM-7B is an *end address* mic, also try using the presence switch on the back for a little midrange boost. That's desireable on many vocalists, including myself.-Richie

laptoppop said:
In terms of Mackie preamps - be careful. Mackie has made a bunch of different preamps over the years, with wildly varying sonic characteristics. I'm using the latest Onyx preamps, and they are sounding VERY good on lots of material. You really can't just say "Mackie Preamps" and cover the whole range - there's a lot of differences.

Doesn't surprise me they work well. Mackie VLZ-Pro pres are much more usuable than people on this board would have you believe as well...

Back