Wouldn't be caught without...

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the recording world and I'm currently apprenticing at a local studio. And I asked all the guys there this same question, and found the wide answers pretty interesting.

Besides a SM57 ;)...What mic would you always grab and make sure you have on you when going into a recording session? and why? if you care to explain.

If I'm going to book a studio, I would not fool with one that doesn't have some microphones, but I understand the spirit of the question.
For acoustic music, which is about all I record, and I am a musician first and foremost before and engineer:
a couple of AKG 414's for some vocals and room mics
at least one nice dynamic like an SM7b or a 441 for instruments and male vocals and aggressive strummed acoustic guitar
a ribbon mic like an Apex 205 is nice for harsh acoustic instruments like mandolin or banjo - but you can get by with others on the list.
a good SDC like an Oktava MK012 for fingerpicked or flatpicked lead acoustic guitar and upright bass
the only thing left is a mic that is specific for a certain type of vocal or whatever you are recording, but i'm betting the ones above can work for almost anything.

Anything Oktava, just get something they make. They are really unique and great sounding mics, nothing else has quite their vibe. I'm really surprised they aren't more popular. But I guess they aren't fancy heritage name brand so...

Hey Capt. Is your question asking for just one microphone to have before all others?

If so I would have to go with something that is pretty universal and go with the Avantone C-40 stereo Microphone It has duel changeable degree large capsules and on each capsule it has ... roll off, pad, and three polar options.

Look HERE

If I'm going to book a studio, I would not fool with one that doesn't have some microphones, but I understand the spirit of the question.

Haha, thanks for bearing with it!

I understand that everyone uses different mics for different purposes and selection can be subjective and situational. Just really curious on what people tend to stick with or rely on.

Haden't ever heard of oktava before, definitely going to check them out.

Hey Capt. Is your question asking for just one microphone to have before all others?

If so I would have to go with something that is pretty universal and go with the Avantone C-40 stereo Microphone It has duel changeable degree large capsules and on each capsule it has ... roll off, pad, and three polar options.

Look HERE

Ha yeah or just whatever you personally wouldn't be caught without in your arsenal of mics

edit: double post fail :(

Haden't ever heard of oktava before, definitely going to check them out.
The reason there isn't much buzz about them these days is 1.The honeymoon is over and everyone is on to the next cheap sexy mic that sounds better than it ought to. 2.There was a period when you could get them really dirt cheap, but not any more. They are still a good value, but not pocket change kinda cheap like they were when Guitar Center was blowing them out to get rid of 'em. You can still find the 012s, 219s and 319s pretty reasonable used, but in the case of 012s and 319s, you have to watch out for Chinese impersonations. The whole Oktava thing is a fascinating drama really.

Just really curious on what people tend to stick with or rely on.
There are some time tested and frequently used industry standards out there that are not considered out of the ball park expensive, and that is a great place to start. 414s, SM7s, SM81s, 441, RE20...all a good value on the used market. For large diaphragm condensers, Audio Technica has few well loved models that have stood the test of time. Most inexpensive LDCs appear to be somebody's take on classic Neumanns or AKGs, I guess, because that is what I keep seeing them all compared to. The good inexpensive ones that people seem to stick with are the ones that are flatter/more neutral like Cad M179 or MXL 2003a. Reading opinions about mics really can suck a lot of your time down a rabbit hole...as can posting about them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The reason there isn't much buzz about them these days is 1.The honeymoon is over and everyone is on to the next cheap sexy mic that sounds better than it ought to. 2.There was a period when you could get them really dirt cheap, but not any more. They are still a good value, but not pocket change kinda cheap like they were when Guitar Center was blowing them out to get rid of 'em. You can still find the 012s, 219s and 319s pretty reasonable used, but in the case of 012s and 319s, you have to watch out for Chinese impersonations. The whole Oktava thing is a fascinating drama really.

GC was blowing out their stock of Chinese impersonations CHEAP :cursing: they got in to some hot water over that!!!!

I don't know about mics to take to recording, depends on what I am recording and what mics the studio has. Usually however I work in my own studio.

One thing I do is when I am performing live I always carry an SM58 with me to sing into if, the mics supplied are:

Some cheap imitation vocal mics,
Been sung into by a slobbering flu infested person
Been sung into by a smoker,
Or are just plain ugly beaten up and horrible.

Come to think of it every equipment case should have an SM58 in it.

alan.

Naiant omni pair for acoustic work.
Oktava MK-012 for lots of SDC stuff.
CAD M9 for many vocals (male particularly).

And I wouldn't grab an SM57 or SM58 unless I needed a hammer.

Back