Will this work?

babycakez

Hey guys!

I am thinking of buying a Shure SM7B. I plan on using it with a Behringer XENYX Q802 USB interface. The question is, is the gain enough on the interface, if yes, will it cause bad quality and background noise? If that is the case, do I HAVE to get a cloudlifter 1? Noob in microphones, go easy. Thanks.

Hi there,
My experience of the 7b, and I use it a lot, is that it won't shine through a subpar preamp.

If you're using it for solo vocal and you're a strong singer, or it's for louder sources like bass/guitar amps then maybe there won't be a problem,
but if you're doing layered vocals/backing vocals etc, I'd be hesitant.

If you're a soft singer I'd be very hesitant.

I have no experience with the cloudlifter but they seem to get unanimous praise around here.
Personally, I'd rather spend the money on an interface with real nice preamps.

Honestly, I don't really know.
I jumped straight from a digi 003 (which didn't like the sm7b) to some nice console input channels.

Hopefully someone else can chip in and help you. :)

Look for a used VTB-1 or an FMR RNMP. I don't have experience with either, but I hear they sound better than average and have enough gain for the SM7b.

I have a Behr Xenyx 1202 mixer handy that is likely similar to the Q802. Plugged in my SM7b and a set of headphones. Had to put the channel gain full bore, but think what I got on the meters and headphones 'might' be usable and wasn't particularly noisy. Not enough push to get the red clip light though. I put a FetHead in the chain (Phantom power on) and was able to back the gain down considerably and was able to push the meters up much easier. The Fethead will also give the SM7b a bit more top end clarity due to its high impedance compared to typically preamps. Assuming you'll be recording via USB from the mixer the SM7b without some help may be marginal. Get the mic, try it and if you need some extra boost, get one of the devices below.

Typically used on an SM7b or RE20, either....

I have this one an it works well.....
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._audio_fethead_in_line_microphone_preamp.html

or....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...crophones_cl_1_cloudlifter_mic_activator.html

Back