Will Phantom Power damage an SM58 ?

Pier Calacino

Hey guys Question for you ?

I have an MD8, and as you know has only two XLR's. I have a V67 in one channel that requires phantom power. My question is will I damage my SM58, and will it work properly with the supplied phantom power ?

Thanks
Pier

Anyone,

I have a similar question. Will a mic that requires phantom power be damaged by turning the phantom power on while the mic is plugged in? The reason I ask is because I did that and it made a pop in my headphones. Please let me know if there is a special order of operation. I would hate to ruin my new mic.

Thanks

Chad

csebree said:
....Will a mic that requires phantom power be damaged by turning the phantom power on while the mic is plugged in?.....I would hate to ruin my new mic.
That is the way you're supposed to do it, as opposed to plugging in the mic with the phantom power turned on, which for the most part isn't that great of an idea. So you shoud be fine.

Thanks all.

I feel much better. I'll also try to make better use of the search tool before bugging you next time (sorry). I have really expanded my knowledge at this forum. It's a great thing.

Chad:D

Back