Why won't this USB mic work anymore?

bakerjd1993

Hi

So it's been running fine for weeks, but now, i plug it in, it REGONIZES, but when i go to system preferences on my macbook, volume, and and output, it says no ouput options are availible or something? But on input, its picking up fine, i can see the levels. but its not picking up on output. Garageband is not regonizing input or output, just regonizing the waves, but not regonizing playback.

Anything i can try?

Did you update your OS? Take a patch?

Been a while since I used GarageBand, but did your I/O settings get changed in GB?

The "no output options" can simply mean that you can't raise or lower the gain from the system preferences. Is there an ouput dial on the mic as well as a gain dial? Some USB mics have three dials (gain, output, and balance, to get a balance between the headphone and the playback).

One other thought. When a microphone seems to be behaving oddly through Adobe Audition (and that's not all that uncommon), I usually reboot the Mac and things go bad to better. Sometimes it seems to be just purging some settings to get things straight. Which USB mic are you using?

One other thought. When a microphone seems to be behaving oddly through Adobe Audition (and that's not all that uncommon), I usually reboot the Mac and things go bad to better. Sometimes it seems to be just purging some settings to get things straight. Which USB mic are you using?

True, but like i said, it PICKS UP the levels on system preferences, but it wont let me playback or when i press record, it will just flatline when i try and speak into it. Im using an Aphex usb. Is it worth putting the cd into the laptop to maybe restart the drivers?

Silly question, but are you certain the mic is a two way device? Some mics, including one I own and hate, have a headphone socket, but the installed driver is a generic one that is input only, so your mac, like mine, is an input device only, and you have to select the mac audio for output. The same mic on a windows system has to have the supplied river installed of course, but has input AND output settings. There is no mac driver for this mic. Maybe a mac update has removed one driver and replaced it with a one way one?

Sorry guys for the late reply, this is where im at with it...

i have alot of different advice, and thats great, and yes, the mic DID work before, it just wont now, i mean it will pick UP, but it just wont play back, and it wont pick up in RECORDING, but my computer will pick up thats its active.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 12.35.05.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 12.35.05.png
    822.5 KB · Views: 45
There is no mac driver for this mic. Maybe a mac update has removed one driver and replaced it with a one way one?
Unlikely.
He says he's aware of input (don't know how yet) but can't record, so there's more to this.

Another thought...check the Audio Midi setup on the Mac to see if something in that program got changed.

Shouldn't make a difference.
The audio I/O device is selected in garage band. Audio/Midi setup is where you choose your system device.

i mean it will pick UP, but it just wont play back, and it wont pick up in RECORDING

What will pick UP? Where are you able to observe an incoming signal?
Lose the capitals in place of more detailed descriptions. ;)

The USB device must be selected as the input/output device in garage band. Someone mentioned that earlier but you didn't confirm.
Is it selected in garageband preferences?

If you're struggling to explain do a screen capture or I screen share with me through iMessage. (PM - I'll tell you how)

Last edited:
Dumb question, but does the microphone have software/drivers? Are they installed? If so, maybe try re-installing?

Dumb question, but does the microphone have software/drivers? Are they installed? If so, maybe try re-installing?

According to the manufacturer's info,
"Microphone X does not require special drivers on OSX. Just connectMicrophone X to the Mac with a high quality USB cable and it will berecognized automatically. "

Back