Why so many mics?

Eastale

Just a begginer and i am curious why everyone purchases so many mic's?? That must sound stupid to you but im curious?

Eastale said:
Just a begginer and i am curious why everyone purchases so many mic's?? That must sound stupid to you but im curious?

Because they have different sensitivity, transient response, frequency response, and polar patterns (I probably missed something else there too), which makes them useful on different sources.

Having said that, I think I could survive on just a few mics, if pressed. Probably 3 or 4.

So i presume most people dont home record but record others and then see which mic sounds best with that particular persons voice?

Eastale said:
So i presume most people dont home record but record others and then see which mic sounds best with that particular persons voice?

Yes, that's often the case. However there are many people here who only record their own material, they might not need as many mics.

Lotta times it's working your way up to the mics you like. As a rookie, I bought a lot of mics that I've since sold or traded or sit in my drawer.
Now, it's more like having more crayons, blue would be fine, but sky blue is better, ya know?

Its all about matching a vocalist with a mic. They always dont go together and thats why people own multiple mics for different uses and perhaps sources.

Big Kenny said:
Lotta times it's working your way up to the mics you like. As a rookie, I bought a lot of mics that I've since sold or traded or sit in my drawer.
Now, it's more like having more crayons, blue would be fine, but sky blue is better, ya know?
Ye makes sense

Yo Eastale! No, actually, it doesn't sound stupid. In fact, it's one of the few obvous questions that's been asked around here in quite a while that hasn't been answered a thousand times. It beats the hell out of, "What's the best mic for professional quality rap vocals under $100?"
There are sweeping answers, like- You just asked an artist- why do you have so many colors? What's wrong with basic black? But here goes-

Microphones have various qualities. They have a frequiency profile, that is, whether they increase or decrease certain frequency bands, or leave them unchanged. There are mics that are bright, mics that are dark, and ones that are flat. None of this is absolute, it exists across a spectrum. Some mics are flatt-er. Second, some mics are more sensitive than others. Sensitive mics can pick up every nuance of a great voice. They also pick up your watch ticking, and the cat walking on the ceiling. Third, some mics are more (or less) accurate than others. Accurate mics reveal the sounds that were made, *all* of them. Others introduce selective distortion to hide annoying details, like airbrushing a centerfold so you can't see her stretch marks. We call this "warmth" when we like it, and "muddy" when we don't. Some mics have tubes to create subtle distortion (warmth) on purpose.

Mics have different polar patterns. Some are very directional (hypercardioid, supercardioid) Some are directional, but not as severely (cardioid, wide cardioid) Some are bi-directional (figure of 8). Some aren't directional at all (omni).

Directional mics have proximity effect. When you get close to them, bass gets boosted. This can be good or bad, depending on the situation, and how you use it. Some proximity fields are gradual, some are abrupt. Some are obvious, others subtle. Proximity fields begin at varying distances from the mic.

All mic make *some* noise. Some mics make more noise than others. Noise is bad, but a little more of it may be necessary, to gain other advantages, like the hum of a single coil guitar pickup. You live with it, because it goes with a sound you want. And you do the best you can to minimize or hide it.

Some mics have a higher output than others, so you need to turn the preamp down. Others have low output, and require a preamp that can produce a lot of gain without becoming noisy or distorted.

Mics come in different sizes, and some jobs may be impossible for a mic that is too big.

Some mics have more reach than others, and perform well when very distant from the source. This is related to sensitivity, but is not quite the same thing.

Most mics have diaphragms (excepting ribbon mics, which are a class unto themselves). These diaphragms vary in size. This affects mass. Small diaphragm mics are often more sensitive and accurate, but they tend to be a little noisier. They respond well to fast transients, things that get louder or quieter in a hurry. They see big, because they are small, like the peephole in your hotel door. Sometimes we want to record a whole choir, and sometimes we want to reach out and isolate a vocalist. Large diaphragm mics are slower to respond to minute changes in volume, which is often desireable on vocals.

Mics vary in their off axis response, in other words, what it sounds like when the mic picks up a sound that it is not pointed at.

Some mics have features which allow their output, frequency profile, or polar pattern to be selected and modified.

Some mics are robust. They're hard to break. others are delicate, and do not take as well to abuse/hard use. Some are good at dealing with very loud sources, others aren't.

And of course, there are higher and lower quality mics. That usually is related to the price (Duh). High quality mics usually have better components, materials, workmanship, and tolerances. And golly gee- they often, but not always, sound better. Note that some jobs call for a good cheap mic that's not too sensitive.

Some mics are made specifically as matched pairs, with nearly identical output across the entire frequency spectrum, like your two ears. They are often used for stereo recording.

In the end, mics are like shoes. They either fit, or they don't. The right mic is not always the most expensive one, or the best one. A cheap Chinese pair of slippers that fits is better than a $500 pair of Italian shoes that doesn't. You can never tell what shoes will fit or what mics will work, although there are *tendencies*. Especially with vocalists, sometimes you have to try a bunch of mics before you hit one that just makes the person sound good. Often, it's not the mic you thought it would be.

In general, a good basic mic collection contains a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics, often a matched pair, one or two large diaphragm condensers, which may or may not be matched, at least one condenser with selectable polar patterns, a tube condenser for a little color, a few good cheap dynamic mics, often used for percussion and amplifiers, one or two high quality dynamic mics, which have many uses, one low frequency dynamic for bass and kick drum, and if funds permit, a ribbon mic or two, which are very useful for brass, some vocalists, and also on guitar and bass amps (and many other things). Within these sub-categories, there are cheaper and more expensive models, as well as differences in all of the features described above. As a mic cabinet grows, you aquire different versions of each basic type, because any given mic might be just what you need for a given source, in a given room, through a given preamp, in a given mix. None of this accounts for taste. Two people, both good engineers or good musicians, may disagree quite a bit on what sounds good.

Well that's a really general overview. Hope it doesn't just confuse you more.-Richie

Last edited:
Also if you are Recording a whole Band you will need from 4 to 8 Mics Just for the Drums depending on the Size of the Kit, and then you will want a Mic for the Guitar Cabs (Or 2 mics for stereo Guitar which sounds good) and a Different one for the Bass Cabs like one with a Lower frequncy range and maybe a good Condenser for Vocals or a Few as not all Mics sound good for all singers....

You might also use Different Mics for recording Acoustic Instruments than recording Electric instruments.....

So you can end up haveing 25 mics and still not have enough if you are running a Full Studio...I have only started my studio and I have 11 mics and I just Ordered the Parts to build 20 electret Condensers of varying frequency range and responce so I can talor them to the type of sounds I am recording as I could never afford to buy that many at once....

If your only recording in Midi you can get away with very few mics but once you start getting into live instruments and especially Drums your need for mics start to get pretty crazy.....

I"m sure once you really get rolling with your recording you will start getting more and more of them.....

Cheers

Richard Monroe said:
Yo Eastale! No, actually, it doesn't sound stupid. In fact, it's one of the few obvous questions that's been asked around here in quite a while that hasn't been answered a thousand times. It beats the hell out of, "What's the best mic for professional quality rap vocals under $100?"
There are sweeping answers, like- You just asked an artist- why do you have so many colors? What's wrong with basic black? But here goes-

Microphones have various qualities. They have a frequiency profile, that is, whether they increase or decrease certain frequency bands, or leave them unchanged. There are mics that are bright, mics that are dark, and ones that are flat. None of this is absolute, it exists across a spectrum. Some mics are flatt-er. Second, some mics are more sensitive than others. Sensitive mics can pick up every nuance of a great voice. They also pick up your watch ticking, and the cat walking on the ceiling. Third, some mics are more (or less) accurate than others. Accurate mics reveal the sounds that were made, *all* of them. Others introduce selective distortion to hide annoying details, like airbrushing a centerfold so you can't see her stretch marks. We call this "warmth" when we like it, and "muddy" when we don't. Some mics have tubes to create subtle distortion (warmth) on purpose.

Mics have different polar patterns. Some are very directional (hypercardioid, supercardioid) Some are directional, but not as severely (cardioid, wide cardioid) Some are bi-directional (figure of 8). Some aren't directional at all (omni).

Directional mics have proximity effect. When you get close to them, bass gets boosted. This can be good or bad, depending on the situation, and how you use it. Some proximity fields are gradual, some are abrupt. Some are obvious, others subtle. Proximity fields begin at varying distances from the mic.

All mic make *some* noise. Some mics make more noise than others. Noise is bad, but a little more of it may be necessary, to gain other advantages, like the hum of a single coil guitar pickup. You live with it, because it goes with a sound you want. And you do the best you can to minimize or hide it.

Some mics have a higher output than others, so you need to turn the preamp down. Others have low output, and require a preamp that can produce a lot of gain without becoming noisy or distorted.

Mics come in different sizes, and some jobs may be impossible for a mic that is too big.

Some mics have more reach than others, and perform well when very distant from the source. This is related to sensitivity, but is not quite the same thing.

Most mics have diaphragms (excepting ribbon mics, which are a class unto themselves). These diaphragms vary in size. This affects mass. Small diaphragm mics are often more sensitive and accurate, but they tend to be a little noisier. They respond well to fast transients, things that get louder or quieter in a hurry. They see big, because they are small, like the peephole in your hotel door. Sometimes we want to record a whole choir, and sometimes we want to reach out and isolate a vocalist. Large diaphragm mics are slower to respond to minute changes in volume, which is often desireable on vocals.

Mics vary in their off axis response, in other words, what it sounds like when the mic picks up a sound that it is not pointed at.

Some mics have features which allow their output, frequency profile, or polar pattern to be selected and modified.

Some mics are robust. They're hard to break. others are delicate, and do not take as well to abuse/hard use. Some are good at dealing with very loud sources, others aren't.

And of course, there are higher and lower quality mics. That usually is related to the price (Duh). High quality mics usually have better components, materials, workmanship, and tolerances. And golly gee- they often, but not always, sound better. Note that some jobs call for a good cheap mic that's not too sensitive.

Some mics are made specifically as matched pairs, with nearly identical output across the entire frequency spectrum, like your two ears. They are often used for stereo recording.

In the end, mics are like shoes. They either fit, or they don't. The right mic is not always the most expensive one, or the best one. A cheap Chinese pair of slippers that fits is better than a $500 pair of Italian shoes that doesn't. You can never tell what shoes will fit or what mics will work, although there are *tendencies*. Especially with vocalists, sometimes you have to try a bunch of mics before you hit one that just makes the person sound good. Often, it's not the mic you thought it would be.

In general, a good basic mic collection contains a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics, often a matched pair, one or two large diaphragm condensers, which may or may not be matched, at least one condenser with selectable polar patterns, a tube condenser for a little color, a few good cheap dynamic mics, often used for percussion and amplifiers, one or two high quality dynamic mics, which have many uses, and if funds permit, a ribbon mic or two, which are very useful for brass, some vocalists, and also on guitar and bass amps (and many other things). Within these sub-categories, there are cheaper and more expensive models, as well as differences in all of the features described above. As a mic cabinet grows, you aquire different versions of each basic type, because any given mic might be just what you need for a given source, in a given foom, through a given preamp, in a given mix. None of this accounts for taste. Two people, both good engineers or good musicians, may disagree quite a bit on what sounds good.

Well that's a really general overview. Hope it doesn't just confuse you more.-Richie

Good post.

Richard Monroe said:
No, actually, it doesn't sound stupid. It beats the hell out of, "What's the best mic for professional quality rap vocals under $100?"

ROTFLMAO! LOL! LOL!!! :D :D :D

I learn something important every time I see an R.M. post! Thanks Richard! Great post!

At least now I know why I have chronic "GAS"......

or existentialism; suggesting one major theme, the stress on concrete, individual existence, and on subjectivity, individual freedom and choice.

Big Kenny said:
or existentialism; suggesting one major theme, the stress on concrete, individual existence, and on subjectivity, individual freedom and choice.

That's some paradoxial shit! :rolleyes:

Back