Why should I have to pad it?

RawDepth

I have an RME HDSP9652 sound card and I recently purchased the analog expansion input card (AEB4-I,) so that I can use analog mic pres. (This expansion card is basically just an A/D converter.)

It seems that no matter which analog preamp I use, (I have four,) I have way too much gain now. The expansion card has a switch for +4 or -10 input sensitivity. I have a hot signal with both settings (even -10) with preamp gain set to zero. My meters are peaking all over the place. I also tried swapping cables from balanced to unbalanced and it is still too hot.

The next logical step would be to use a line pad but, I shouldn't have to go to that extent.

What gives here? Why is this input so damned sensitive? :confused:

EDIT: Oops, sorry wrong forum...I must have been thinking mics and micpres too much today.

Change setting to +4db and you lower the sensitivity of
the input some 12db.
The preamps gain pot is for use, you can lower the gain there,
you´ll need the gain with dynamic & ribbon mics.

Matti

ittam said:
Change setting to +4db and you lower the sensitivity of
the input some 12db.
The preamps gain pot is for use, you can lower the gain there,
you´ll need the gain with dynamic & ribbon mics.

Matti
I cannot lower the gain below null, (fully counter-clockwise.)

Well, I managed to get it under control a little bit. When I set the input to +4 and then use an unbalanced cable to the input it is at a slightly lower level, however, even this is still too high. When using a condenser, it meters between -6 and -2dBFS most of the time and even peaks once in a while with a loud source. I cannot get the level any lower than that without a pad. My software has no level control for incoming signal, only for outgoing signal. The record level must be set at the source.

Okay then! I guess I will have to go order 3 or 4 freakin line pads. (Even though I don't want to use them.)

Thanks, man.

RawDepth said:
Okay then! I guess I will have to go order 3 or 4 freakin line pads. (Even though I don't want to use them.)

Thanks, man.

I think I have a few -30db XLR pads laying around....ill give you the same deal I got on them...$10 each plus shipping if you are interrested....they are unopened...

thajeremy said:
I think I have a few -30db XLR pads laying around....ill give you the same deal I got on them...$10 each plus shipping if you are interrested....they are unopened...
I just got to looking. Some of my condensers have pads built in and some do not. I suppose I should have a few of those on hand.

How many do you have? I may want 3 or 4.
Also, do mic pads pass phantom power with no problem?

I should have at least 3....maybe 4....and yes, phantom power will pass uneffected. The next couple of days will be really busy for me, but Ill try to dig up 3 or 4 of the pads and get back with you....again...they are -30db which is a pretty big cut...I was looking for 10 or 20 but found a pretty good deal on these if I bought like 10 or something...

thajeremy said:
I should have at least 3....maybe 4....and yes, phantom power will pass uneffected. The next couple of days will be really busy for me, but Ill try to dig up 3 or 4 of the pads and get back with you....again...they are -30db which is a pretty big cut...I was looking for 10 or 20 but found a pretty good deal on these if I bought like 10 or something...
Yeah, you are right, that's a big cut. Tell you what...maybe I'll only get 2 from you and I may also get 2 of those -12dB pads from mshilarious. I would have a variety then. I can always use the 30's on snare or something.

You don’t need to go digging too deep for them. 2 would be fine, but if you already have 3 handy, that's fine too.

Shipping would be to 17315 in Pennsylvania. I can pay you by PayPal.

I appreciate the help.

Back