the white noise sound while recording.

MertOcak

hey guys.

I have a big problem. I recently bought a microphone which is studio projects b1. Its second hand. I tested it yesterday and its making SSSSSSS sound and with a terrible quality. So, is there any problem with my mic or not? My equipments are Audiobox USB sound card, Studio Projects b1, M audio AV30. Please help me guys, im about to lose my gead. By the way, im thinking that there is a problem about settings. If someone willing to help me, we can create a connect via Teamviewer. Hope to help me...

Have a nice day.

The SP B1 is a decent mic (I have one). Try drying it out by putting it in a ziplock bag with some desiccant packs for a day or two (like the ones that come with some electronics gear). Capsule may have moisture on it which causes electrical leakage. May not help, but worth a try to start with.

Thanks for your comment Mark, but i want to ask something. When i try to record a sound, the SSS sound is too loud and my voice is terrible. Is it normal and is there anything that happened to microphone except moisture? because my previous microphone hadn't this problem and it was working good.

Thanks for your comment Mark, but i want to ask something. When i try to record a sound, the SSS sound is too loud and my voice is terrible. Is it normal and is there anything that happened to microphone except moisture? because my previous microphone hadn't this problem and it was working good.
Not sure if I may have misinterpreted what the problem is.

SSS sound - Is it sibilence you are speaking of or a constant hiss sound in the recording?
"Vocal sibilance is an unpleasant tonal harshness that can happen during consonant syllables (like S, T, and Z), caused by disproportionate audio dynamics in upper midrange frequencies".

I risked the download and it's fine.

The level is very low, there is what sounds like aircraft noise in the background, and of course, hiss. It sounds as if you were speaking very quietly, and using preamp gain to get the level up? Was this the case? I wonder if you just have a typical preamp, and are having to use the gain at too high a setting because you are speaking very quietly. What is it like when you sing at normal volume, close in, and can turn the gain down a bit?

If you want to record high quality quietly spoken audio, at a greater distance, then you may well need a better pre-amp than you have.

Why you asked

If I'm going to solve all your problems I need to know a bit about you. Do you dress to the left or the right?:confused:

But seriously, you might need to do some general learning on what you're doing - could I suggest a stroll through the noobs forum via the stickies and you might learn a whole lot and solve your own problem - signal to noise ratio / gain staging etc. All good stuff....

Because even if someone solves this particular problem to your liking, you might be back tomorrow with the next one.

why are you talking like ignominiously? If you don't want to help me, just don't. Nobody was born as a musician or something. Seriously, i need someone to solve this problem, not bullshit comments. By the way, thank you for your comment.

While talking/singing at which might be the loudest peaks, bring up the gain knob on the Presonus so the "Clip" light just lights and then back it off just a bit.
The voice in the sample was almost a whisper, not loud. You might play around with distance to the mic. Speaking softly get closer. Louder back off.

Do you have headphones you can plug into your interface to monitor the sound? The AV30 'monitors' are 3" speakers and are pretty noisy (hissy) themselves.

I hear the makings of feedback on that recording. Hear the slight delay after you speak?
It sounds like you have your monitors turned on whilst recording which is a bad idea.

I guess mjb maybe spotted that too?

As for the hiss, it doesn't sound all that unreasonable.
As said, you're speaking pretty quietly. How far are you from the mic?

Back