Where/how can I test mics to find the best match for my voice?

danielshawn

I read this thread about mics suited to my very purpose:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=97704&referrerid=22932

Chessparov suggests buying multiple mics for multiple purposes and also suggests that a voice can better match with a mic even though it costs less than a Neumann. This is good stuff to know (Thanks!)

So, instead of rehashing the models of mics, can someone tell me how to go about testing mics in a store. I live near Los Angeles, visiting frequently. If I went to (insert favourite store name here) and they said I could sing with a few mics, how would I be able to judge the peformances? And would what I heard even matter outside the construct of my own (as of yet non-existant) system?

End question. Begin background info for my project if interested...

II want to build a home studio where I can record vocals over MIDI tracks or a capella. I am a male tenor, clasically trained, Renaissance/Baroque-oriented, with forrays into folk song, musical theater, and soft pop (think thin, bright, pure-- http://www.geocities.com/danielshawn_99 and find the very bottom link titled "Come, Holy Ghost, In Love" [recorded with SB Live Value and the Radio Shack special mic!])

Computer is a P4 1.5gHz with 768kRAM
Budget is 400-500 for one LDC mic.

Thanks for all your help! Seriously! :)

--DanielShawn

I'm pretty sure this is covered in the "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?" sticky thread.

cominginsecond said:
I'm pretty sure this is covered in the "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?" sticky thread.

I did read about 10 pages of that thread; but I confess it'll take a few more readings to try and make sense out of it all. I didn't recall seeing my query addressed, but I know there are many pages left. I'll go digging again, thanks.

--DanielShawn

danielshawn said:
I did read about 10 pages of that thread; but I confess it'll take a few more readings to try and make sense out of it all. I didn't recall seeing my query addressed, but I know there are many pages left. I'll go digging again, thanks.

--DanielShawn
I'm not 100 percent sure it's in there, but I'm pretty sure that Harvey has addressed it somewhere. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

You can buy mics from a retailers who allow returns. You can rent them from certain sound companies.

Back