Whats in your MIC cabinet?

Gargamel

I'm curious to see what most of us are using out there....

I own the following:

1 Neumann TLM 103
1 SM57
1 SM 58
1 Nady CSM 900
1 Audio Technica DR4000 - digital reference mic (snall dia. cdnsr)
2 Behringer ECM 8000 Measurement Mics
1 CAD M97
1 Cadenza ribbon mic
1 Marantz Stereo Mic (superscope)

Next up: Neumann u87

(One of these days!!!!)

I noticed the phrase "matched pair" a couple of times. What constitutes a "matched pair" and what does it buy you?

come on! Lets just have some fun for crying out loud.I think this is a good post and in a couple of weeks after it is gone and someone else starts a similar one, well what the hell, I'm sure it will make for some interesting comments,(and some not so interesting.)

Monty,

I agree. Its not a bad thing to revisit a previously discussed item with a new post. There is more than enough bandwith to go around.

1 - Shure sm57
1 - Marshall MXLv67G

about to order:
pair of Behringer ECM8000's

Yes, I have a microphonally challenged cabinet, so I will accept donations on behalf of bettering its portfolio.....

I am thinking of adding another v67 so I can use them as over heads and xy stereo on acst guitar.I am currently using the 67 and the octava as overheads cause that is all I have and the 67 is much more responsive and bright than the octava.

Monty,

Think you're challenged Gidge?

Me:

1-AKG D880

But I do have a nice, heavy boom stand for it!

I ordered a v67g last Friday, so that will be a nice addition. I'm also waiting for Harvey's ECM8000 review. I've got a set of drums here that those might be good for (if I ever get around to changing the heads, cleaning up HW, tuning, etc.) Guess I'll need at least one SM57 for the kit too (?). I noticed that last week Sweetwater was selling 57's for $80 and 58's for $100, both with stand and cable. Also looking to get a C1 next spring.

-Niels

Reqs,

If youre doing the home studio thing, the v67 is so close to the C1 that it would be a useless duplication (unless u need a pair).....use that money for a sm57 (trust me)......

also, i was waiting on Harveys review of those ECM8000's, but i dont wanna miss out...i think he already said it was a sure thing for drum overheads.....

so for drums, id say the ECM8000's as stereo overheads....a sm57 on snare, a sm57 on the inside of the kick, and the v67 a little out in front of the kick to get some low end(if you like a boomy kick, the 57 will get the click).......

"so for drums, id say the ECM8000's as stereo overheads"

--good call Gidge. I bought the ECM8000's two weeks ago and have been using them as percussion overheads (Congas, bongos...) What a bargain. They sound very good through my $50.00 per channel mackie XDR preamps.

Except for a matched pair of Octava mc-012's and another D-112, this is what I've been useing.

Whos Mic?

I have

3 AKG 3700d

1 Beta 58

2 SM58

1 SM57

1 MXL 2001

and three mics i use for cool dj voice that are beat to rat s**t.

I also have a friend who is sooo kind he lets me leave most of them at his house so he can use....I Mean WATCH Them for me.
:D

Thanks

Thanks for the advice re. micing the drums, that's good to know. I'm definitely interested in the ESM8000's. I was thinking the same thing about the v67 vs. the C1, and for $150 (w/ SM and shipping) I couldn't resist the Marshall.

Thanks Wide, but looks like 8th Street is selling the ATM25 for $149. Was there a special I missed?

-Niels

wheelema said:
I noticed the phrase "matched pair" a couple of times. What constitutes a "matched pair" and what does it buy you?

A "matched-pair" of microphones is two microphones chosen so that their measured specs are as closely matched as possible. The specs (frequency response, polar diagram, sensitivity, self-noise) don't necessarily have to be exactly the same as the design spec, but DO have to match each other. They're used primarily in stereo recording where for instance, any differences in the frequency response between the two microphones, could lead to stereo image "meandering" at certain frequencies.

- Wil

Back