What's your favorite mic for electric guitar amp mic'ing and WHY?

PinkStrat

Just wanted to to get everyone's two cents on this particular subject since we're all after the best electric guitar tones we can muster to tape [or digital]? Please state your own reasons WHY you use the particular microphone you've chosen for this purpose and maybe what mic preamp [or related gear] you might be adding into the equation. I'm looking forward to see some responses. Thanks! :)

Personally for guitar amp micing, i LOVE the Beyer M-88. It seems to give the amp some nice mids when going to tape.....warmer.

I think a lot of people will probably say the SM57, which is probably my second choice, but I still haven't found anything that compares with the M88...or even comes close, especially when you're dealing with mesa boogies :D

i use a sm57 right smack up on the grill....whenever possible, ill use my Marshall MXLv67 3-6ft out.....i blend that with J-Station tones......

if i had my choice of any mic, it would be a Royer R-121 ribbon mic......a beautiful experience.......

Umm, actually Im not sure of a retail price. Im in Australia and got it second hand for $200. Its a great kick mic as well....and snare.....and Tom. Its one of those all rounder mics like the 57, but it sounds particularly awesome on guitar cabs :D

Sorry I couldn't help out. DOH
Link

On amps that sound a bit lard-assed, the EV 635a/PL-5 is great. They're thesame mic, with the possibility, but not certainty, of less stringent quality control in the later, and were sold through different distribution chains with a longer warranty on the 635a. Dynamic omni, not lots of bottom or a much extended highs, built as tough as a 57, and you can almost always get the PL-5 way under $50 used.

This stuff all depends. Sometimes you need a 57 to punch through with it's aggressive character, sometimes you want to smooth things over with a ribbon mic (Eddie Kramer said he always had a Beyer M-160 on Jimi's amps), sometimes you need an accurate condensor to get a perfect guitar/amp combo w/o screwing it up. Sometimes you want a Green Bullet to grunge it up. To many rig/player/song/arrangement/room variables to pick a fave. I'd like to own some of the high-end ribbon mics, though.

Bear

I like the At4033 for a in your face rock sound and I like ML19 for a looser retro blusey sound..For clean sound at low volume I like a SM81..And a 57 when all else fails

Don

Excuse me for asking but who makes/made the ML19 [and what type of microphone is this]? I haven't heard of this one yet, Henri!

Hey Pink,ML19 is a ribbon{unidirct.} made by Oktava in the 80s they dont make them anymore..Soundroom has them {recond.} paid $419.00..S/H..Nice mice, very smooth

Don

Thanks, Don. I 've finally found the reason why the search button really exists on computers! After I read your reply, I typed in "ML19" and was immediately transported to The Sound Room's site! Pretty slick eh? :D

For rock guitar tones the SM57 up close is the standard... works well with little or no eq needed. For a different tone try an ElectroVoice ND series mic. I have a ND357A that works great up close or a foot or so away from the amp on cleaner guitar tones.
Gives a warm, round sound with detail. Everyone has their preferences for modern mic pres.... I have a used 2-channel Rolls tube mic preamp that works great... lots of headroom and gain.
It turns a SM57 into a completely different type of mic.

i use a sm57 on the speaker cab for distorted rock guitar. I've been using a C-1 about 3 feet from the speaker cab for some blues numbers im currently working on. The c-1 really captures the dynamics of blues style guitar (very soft picking on some pasages....slamming heavy strings with a heavy pick on bends for the solos). I've been pleased with the c-1 on guitar....its a very accurate mic.

The ever popular SM-57 on the grill works nicely with a 4033 or two back 6 to 10 feet, a D-112 has a little more body and I like it but if it's a dense mix sometimes it won't cut through. The D-112 (flip the phase) on the back of an open back cabinet with a 57 on the front is an awsome combination. An EV PL-80 works well for me too. Sometimes a 57 up close and a GrooveTubes AM-52 in figure 8 back a bit in a M/S configuration is very nice. It depends on the tune. YMMV.

usually i use a 57 because it's easy and it sounds good. i sometimes use an AKG c1000s up pretty close for heavier sounds but i don't know if that sound is to everybody's liking because i like a ton of treble on my guitars. i've tried the mxl 603's and they sucked on electric guitar in my case, but they're good for most other things.

Sennheiser 609 (designed specifically for guitar cabs) and sounds great on toms, too...
and Beta57, better isolation than the standard 57, too, and doubles as snare mic.. maybe even vocal mic...

Back