Whats a good microphone?

Hmmm, one that works for you and you can afford.
Personally I find Hello Kitty microphones a bit out of my league and don't produce a tone appropriate to my genre. I have to a lot to the signal to make it work for Kawai Metal.

what micro phone should I start with in my home studio

To suggest a good microphone for you we need a lot more information please.

What sort of budget do you have in mind?

A microphone for vocals can start at under £100 and go up to many thousands.

What other gear do you have in your studio? This will help us suggest a mic. that matches your gear.

It reminds me of the day when I was still a newbie.
I am now using SM58 + Scarlatti 2i2 to record my harmonica.
SM58 is conformable to hold when playing harmonica:guitar:

I sang through a Manley back in the 80s that was absolutely wonderful. Made my voice sound really good (which would be saying a lot nowadays!) :)

Agree - for the listed price the spec doesn't seem remarkable at all. For ribbon mic you might as well get a few Rupert Neve ribbon microphones (SE Electronics RNR1) or Rode NTRs.

Get a shure knockoff or the shure PG58, unscrew the pop cover and position the mic behind a decent pop filter in a room that wont reverberate like a gong in a canyon and then run it through BootEqII.

Ta da, you can lie to ppl and say you used a spensive condenser. Just like the study that proved professional wine tasters could be fooled by putting red food dye in a white, and switching labels on expensive and cheap wines, they wont be able to tell the difference.

Purists would disagree but i bet my left nut that they'd fail a blind A B comparison.

I guess it's down to personal opinion as to what sound you prefer... And I guess it's not just the microphones which matter a lot i.e. audio converter, cable, monitor, etc.

Speaking of which - just got the Prism Lyra 2 delivered and waiting for MKH 8020 pair to arrive... I'll look forward to start making more piano and other chamber music recordings using my new kits...

Mics are like shoes. They either fit, or they don't. There are expensive ones and cheap ones, good ones and bad ones, *and* right ones and wrong ones. It's simply a tool. In order to pick the right tool, you need to know what the job is. The best pair of ballet toe shoes in the world suck for playing ice hockey. So- tell us what your realistic budget is, what you intend to plug the mic into, what you intend to record with it, and what kind of room you intend to do it in. Top studios have *hundreds* of microphones, ranging from $50 to many thousands of $. If there was one great universal microphone, they would just buy a couple of those, and get rid of the rest. What makes it even worse is- a mic can make one source/person sound great, and another one awful. Anyone who gives you an answer to a question that has no answer is either lying, confused, or just busting your ass. This thread already contains all of the above.

Get a shure knockoff or the shure PG58, unscrew the pop cover and position the mic behind a decent pop filter in a room that wont reverberate like a gong in a canyon and then run it through BootEqII.

Ta da, you can lie to ppl and say you used a spensive condenser. Just like the study that proved professional wine tasters could be fooled by putting red food dye in a white, and switching labels on expensive and cheap wines, they wont be able to tell the difference.

Purists would disagree but i bet my left nut that they'd fail a blind A B comparison.

I can guarantee a wine taster would get it right almost every time lol I say this from wine tasting experience, I KNOW when it's cheap, there's something missing. Not saying you are wrong though, blind testing is the ultimate way to be unbiased

Back