Whats a good microphone?

I can guarantee a wine taster would get it right almost every time lol I say this from wine tasting experience, I KNOW when it's cheap, there's something missing. Not saying you are wrong though, blind testing is the ultimate way to be unbiased

So even though I mentioned an actual study that proved a certain outcome you can guarantee the opposite using your own anecdotal evidence ?

Ok then. :D

Freakonomics » Further Evidence That Wine Tasting Is Wildly Subjective

Cambridge Journals Online - Journal of Wine Economics - Abstract - An Examination of Judge Reliability at a major U.S. Wine Competition
Cambridge Journals Online - Journal of Wine Economics - Abstract - An Analysis of the Concordance Among 13 U.S. Wine Competitions
Cambridge Journals Online - Journal of Wine Economics - Abstract - How Expert are ?Expert? Wine Judges?

This from the Brochet Study.

The tasters in the first experiment, the one with the dyed wine, described the sorts of berries and grapes and tannins they could detect in the red wine just as if it really was red. Every single one, all 54, could not tell it was white. In the second experiment, the one with the switched labels, the subjects went on and on about the cheap wine in the expensive bottle. They called it complex and rounded. They called the same wine in the cheap bottle weak and flat.

:drunk:

There's a further brutal complication. Not all people, and especially not audio engineers, agree on what sounds good. Ask four engineers, you'll get 5 answers. One tendency I've found though, is that pricey boutique mics are often more versatile. As the great Harvey Gerst once told me, "If you use cheap mics, you need to use a bunch of them" (paraphrased, not a verbatim quote). I believe that really good project studios tend to be built out of an unholy alliance between some cheap gear that works, and a handful of really top shelf stuff (what you can afford). That top of the line gear gets used a lot, so every piece has to have a lot of uses. So- I'd say- start with a cheap condenser mic that works, and a cheap dynamic mic that works. Note that a lot of my cheap mic selections are older/discontinued, but you can find them on ebay, and used mics will give you better bang for the buck. For a cheap dynamic, everybody will recommend Shure SM 57/58 (almost the same mic). I like the older AKG D770 and Sennheiser e835. For a cheap condenser, there are plenty of choices. Leading my pack are Marshall Electronics MXL V67/67G (same mic, different paint job), Studio Projects B-1, Audio-Technica AD2020 and B.L.U.E. Spark. I'd say, look for a used AKG C2000B. You can find then for $100 or so on ebay, and it will prove to be versatile as hell. If you can only get one mic to start, get a dynamic. Actually, Behringer's XM8500 is a pretty good one for $25.00 new. Remember this- it's not about whether condenser mics or dynamic mics are "better". They are the yin and yang of recording, and every good engineer understands and uses both. So get one of each and start learning what they are good for. As soon as you can afford it, add a pair of small diaphragm condensers, and start learning the true way- stereo. Good luck with your mic selections.

Based on lack of follow up, I'm just going to assume that the creator of this thread picked up the Hello Kitty mic, and absolutely loves it.

If money was no object I would get one of these, unfortunately money is an object for me so I don't own one .....Yet!

Alan.

Nah. Get this stereo pair: Telefunken C12 Stereo Set Two mics for $15,000 is much better value than one for $11,000! And shipping is free!

Seriously for the OP, I'll join the chorus of "what are you recording and what's your budget" questions. As the roughest of guides, mics worth having can be purchased starting at around $100 but this is just the beginning and you can spend a lot more depending on your wants and needs.

I second the Lamborghini car-wise.

Depends on what you're plugging into, what instrument is recorded, what sound you want, etc etc. etc. It's like yoga pants. They all do the trick in the right context. Except on dudes. Wonder what the hello kitty mic would sound like through a nice vintage clean usb port on a Windows 2000 pc....

Back