whats a good *budget* mic to use on a bass guitar rig?

60ndown

looks like im going to get several GLS ES-57 but specks say it only gets down to 50hz

id like the bass guitar mic to get a little lower 40?? 35?? hanging in front of the bass cab playing loud enough to 'jam' with the band

anyone know of anything?

the specs for the GLS ES57 go down to 40hz I believe. Much lower and all your going to be adding is mud anyway.
I havent tried it on a bass cab yet as soon as i do i'll post a clip in my review thread.
If its just for jamming not recording i'd go for something cheap and chearfull, especially if all you intend to do is drape it over the cab.

The best budget way to record bass is DI. It's also usually the best sounding way. 40 hz and below is pretty much useless "freight-train-in-the-distance" sounding noise anyway, but if there is sound that low in the bass, you'll get it with a DI. Hopefully you HPF it out, though.

I've been using DI along witha D-112 (and on occasion an AM-52 in omni) on bass and more often than not only use the DI track. The mic can add some "wool" to the sound but that can also just get in the way.

I get really good results from a CAD KBM412 usually about 50 bucks, it's good for bass drums but better for bass amps, tuba, string bass and capturing low end on a piano or guitar amp. Even used this for a powerful bass vocalist that was crapping out every other mic we tried, he has even started using that mic live. I generally stay away from the usual suspects-bass drum mics- because of the often hyped and rolled off frequencies. This is a rugged mic that has very nice low end characteristics and natural roll off for "bass" instruments.
The down side for mic'ing a bass amp is bleed but this has pretty good off axis rejection.

CAD Audio - The Brand Used by Professionals!

thanks, thats the imfo i was looking for, a bass player, that has used it to record bass, with great (not just ok) results

I get really good results from a CAD KBM412 usually about 50 bucks, it's good for bass drums but better for bass amps, tuba, string bass and capturing low end on a piano or guitar amp. Even used this for a powerful bass vocalist that was crapping out every other mic we tried, he has even started using that mic live. I generally stay away from the usual suspects-bass drum mics- because of the often hyped and rolled off frequencies. This is a rugged mic that has very nice low end characteristics and natural roll off for "bass" instruments.
The down side for mic'ing a bass amp is bleed but this has pretty good off axis rejection.

CAD Audio - The Brand Used by Professionals!

I've been using DI along witha D-112

I would have suggested this but he did say budget and the D112 is usually more expensive than a SM57. What is the budget? I know I'm a gear junkie but my idea of budget is a D112, an Sm57 is coffee money (good coffee), I usually record bass with a AKG C4000b (set to wide cardioid) and a DI, sometimes I also line into an instrument pre like a TL audio Fat Man, I record all inputs to separate tracks so I can choose later.

It depends on the persons idea of budget? You can pick up a second hand AKG C4000B for about $300, to me that's a bargain.

Alan.

I also line into an instrument pre like a TL audio Fat Man, I record all inputs to separate tracks so I can choose later.

I can second the Fatman. I've used one on bass tracks for years. On this side of the pond they're badged by HHB.

I can second the Fatman. I've used one on bass tracks for years. On this side of the pond they're badged by HHB.

Actually mine is badged HHB and is purple, however in Oz we get both badging, so we see a lot of TL red and HHB purple. The Fatman is a great bass tracking device, it also have a great compression setting for acoustic guitars (not as an input but for compression during mixdown).

Alan.

I normally run a couple different channels when my cab is mic'ed. First is a DI; either by my SansAmp or directly from the head.

Depending on the cab I use I place a CAD kick drum mic off centered on one of the cones.

I have an old Ampeg 4x8 that I love to play live and record with, but getting a mix can be a challenge. I normally use a DI, then place the CAD on one of the rear ports. The tricky part is when I add a third mic into the mix for bass. For this I just toss an SM58 off centered on of the cones. I normally aim towards the tweeter a bit as well. The sound I get is phenominal.

like most people here, a DI is normally the best way to go, even if you're not on a budget! however, a mic can and will pick up different aspects of the sound. i prefer to DI either from the head or straight into a TLA dual comp, and mic with an sE Titan (in fig.8) or MD421. if i need a brighter bass sound (ala Blink 182) then a Rode NT1a does a good job blended with a DI.

it all depends how much your budget is.

under £100, you can't go far wrong with an SM57

between £100 and £200; NT1a, sE2200, AKG C3000, AKG D112

it's also worth noting that there's a lot of bass amp simulators available so as long as you have a clean DI sound you can always virtually re-amp it

I've heard a 57 modded with a removed transformer is good on bass. Removing the transformer extends frequency response but also lowers output. Don't think that'll be a problem on a bass amp though.

How do you like it? I have 3 57's and have been debating back and forth on whether I should mod one. Are you happy with the mod? How do you compare it to an unmodded one and other similar dynamics like the i5?

How do you like it? I have 3 57's and have been debating back and forth on whether I should mod one. Are you happy with the mod? How do you compare it to an unmodded one and other similar dynamics like the i5?

I modified this mic many years ago, I was trying to repair a connection when the tab broke off the transformer. I was going to throw the mic away when a tech friend said why not do away with the transformer, so I did. The first thing that I noticed was that the signal was not as strong, this worked really well on snare as I usually had to pad the snare channel anyway. So this mic was always my go to SM57 snare mic, and as such I got used to how it sounded. It was a few years later when I learned that this was a mod that was carried out for an improved snare sound.

I don't really know it the mod makes the mic sound a whole lot different, but it is my favourite snare mic. If you do the mod and don't like it you can put the transformer back in, but at the low cost of a SM57 it won't do any harm to have a modified one in the mic case.

Alan.

Back