What's the difference between Hi-z and Lo-z cables?

As far as I know, none, except that most high-z inputs are 1/4" TS (tip-sleeve) receptacles, and are generally unbalanced. In other words, a high impedence mic is plugged into an instrument jack, and will work when plugged into a guitar amp, etc. It's not the cable that's high-z or low-z, it's the mic's output and the thing it's plugged into. All mics used to be high-z, and some old PA's have only high-z inputs. Characteristically, low-z mics use XLR connectors, and tend to be quieter.-Richie

I have two hi-z cables. My dynamic mics work the same with the hi-z and lo-z cables. My local music store owner told me that noise becomes an issue with cables that are 50 feet and longer.

Years ago, when I was running a weekly coffee house venue, I had a couple of low end Shures with high-Z cables. The buzz from the overhead stage lighting drove me nuts, until I looked in the instructions and found out the mics could be rewired for low-Z. I did that, substituted XLR cables for 1/4", and the buzz went away.

There are other reasons low-Z is better. For one thing, the plugs are a lot more robust and harder to accidentally pull out than high-Z 1/4". For another, whaddya gonna do when you bring your stuff to the gig and all the inputs are low-Z? The length thing is true, also. Fifty feet is pushing it for high-Z. Another is simply that pro equipment is low-Z. You're not going to run your phantom power Neumann on a 1/4" cable.

Back