What's the Deal?!!!!

getuhgrip

Bring Back Transfat!
I recieved four Behringer ECM8000 mics from Musician's Friend.
I just got the chance to test one. Out of the box, unplug SM58 from cable, plug in ECM8000, plug power into Tube MP, start raisng output...........nothing.
Turn down levels, plug in SM58, got normal sound.
Grab 2nd ECM8000......nothing
3rd and 4th.......nothing.
Plug into guitar amp......nothing.

What am I doing wrong here?
Box says it requires 15-48v. Tube MP does 48v.

I refuse to believe four bad mics outta da box. Must be me.
Whassup? :confused:

Yep, I even touched my tounge with it to make sure! :D

Yeah, it's on. This is silly. The SM58 works but 4 bran new mics don't. Grrrr!

4 bad out of the box is pretty hard to believe. I haven't seen that level of bad ass QC since.....geez, it's been about 30 years ago, when Daddy Wags Music store in Minneapolis? received about 90 Vox guitar amps, every one of them dead, out of the box.

I'm still betting on a bad cable (pin 1 and 3 shorted together), since a 57 will work fine unbalanced with that wiring.

This sucks! :D

Tried another cable I know to be good.......no go.
Tube MP has only one channel.
Ok, these are XLR to 1/4" cables. Does this make a difference?

Are they TS or TRS? It has to be a balanced voltage on pins 2 and 3 (ground is common). For 1/4" TRS plugs, T and R carry the voltage and the S is common. Do you know anybody around you that has some condenser mics you can try or carry yours over to their place?

D'oh,

I'd almost be willing to bet that the phantom power is "ONLY" available on the XLR input jack. Don't know that for sure, but I'd read the manual. The 1/4" may be a DI input.

Harvey Gerst said:
D'oh,

I'd almost be willing to bet that the phantom power is "ONLY" available on the XLR input jack. Don't know that for sure, but I'd read the manual. The 1/4" may be a DI input.

you are right.

I'll grab an XLR-XLR on my way home from work today and see if that's the problem. I bought a pair for myself and a pair to ship to dobro. I'd like to know there's not a problem before sending his.

It's the little things that produce life's interesting experiences. "Yeah we finally got those mics squared away. We spent $600 in shipping charges but that's not the point. The point is we attacked the problem and achieved our objectives!" :D

getuhgrip,

As Harvey mentioned, only the XLR inputs on the ART are balanced & powered. In fact, you should know that both 1/4" plugs are unbalanced, which kind of sucks after you go out and buy a bunch of 1/4" TRS cables. For a while I couldn't figure out why the ART's output was so low when the input on my delta was at +4...duh! Stupid manuals...so many words, so little patience :)

Slackmaster 2000

I bought the thing used with no manual. Probably would left it in the bathroom anyway!

But that's the concensus? XLR into the MP will supply the power needed to the mic, right?

Thanks guys. Look at me learning! :D

Grip,

What was the final cost to Dobro, incl., postage/shipping. This is just in case I have to ask a favour of you in the future ;) .

I have found that someone else is bringing these mics in from Asia but without the Behringer name on them, oddly enough, I believe they are still using the ECM8000 number though but unfortunately are $179 Aust ( only $20 less than the Behringer).

Any information for future reference appreciated.

ChrisO :cool:

$67.50/UPS expedited - Louisville to Singapore. Shipped Monday, recieved yesterday.
I still have an extra pair I ordered in case you changed your mind! :D

Mics $70
Shpg $67.50
30 min w/Kim Hunter for my time!
Total $137.50 US

Back