whats the cheapest mic i can hang/place in front of a guitar/bass amp to record??

60ndown

im not overly concerned with 'tone' as i can eq in my computer.

i am concerned with distortion (i dont want it)

id like to buy 3 microphones, as cheap as possible. (new or used)

this is for band rehearsal recording only

suggestions please? :)

alternatively, if you were going to hang 1 mic in a rehearsal room with a rock band rehearsing, which mic would you use (up to $300)

im currently using an akgc1000s, will your mic be significantly better and if yes in what way?

Last edited:
alternatively, if you were going to hang 1 mic in a rehearsal room with a rock band rehearsing, which mic would you use (up to $300)

If the band are all around the room facing the centre, then it's certainly going to be an omni mic of some kind.

If they're in a line, like a stage setup, you could spend some time (without mics) getting the balance the best it can be in the room, then pretty much mic up with anything.

You're in that situation where the outcome is 99.9% live sound, and 0.1% gear.
I would definitely focus on the former.

Honestly if it's just for band rehearsals....I'd just go with one of those nice handheld recorders with the two mics on top!

Honestly if it's just for band rehearsals....I'd just go with one of those nice handheld recorders with the two mics on top!

been doing that and using a akg c1000s, but i want more details......

im thinking i have to move to a digital multi track recorder of some kind?

You need to supply more details.

What kind of band are we talking about? Barbershop Quartet? Vegan Speed Thrash? Post Punk Gospel Revival Haiku Poetry Slam? Psychobluegrass Pink Martini? Amplified? Unamplified? Accordian? Romanian finger cymbal ensemble?

Do you have a mixer? Do you have a computer with a soundcard? Which handheld device are you currently using?

An sm57 is cheap but if you hang it over the front of the amp its cardioid polar patten will be pointed at the floor. The Senn. e609 was made to hang (if need be) over the front of a guitar amp. It might be better suited for your situation.e609silver-5e4b7f60d860c81ba5c724cc172903ac.jpg

Back