Whats the best Bass drum mic for recording bass guitar?

Mongoo

Right now I've got a beta58a and samson s11 so I don't need a vocal mic just yet. I want to get a mics for drums, bass, guitar, and perhaps accustic steel string guitar.

So the mics I've been think of and hearing about are the SM57 & MLX 603.

If I got two SM57's I could use them for stero electric guitar recording and also for the snare and toms on the trap kit. I could use two mlx 603's for overheads on the drums and I even heard the 603's are alright at accustic stuff.

I've also heard these mics can be good for overheads:

1)Behringer B-5 Pair
2)Samson C02 Pair
3)Cad ICM 417's
4)MK012's
5)Studio Projects B1
6)Oktava MK319's
7)MXL V57M

For what I will use them for do you think I should stick with the MXL 603's?

This just leaves the bass guitar and drum. I'm going to still use the direct in for the bass, but I thought I could get some cool sounds by mic'ing it too. Which bass drum mic do you think would work best for bass guitar?

1)Audio Technica ATM 25
2)Shure Beta 52
3)AKG D112

I don't know if these are different then the first one

4)AT25
5)AT ATMPRO25 - k

Thanks for all the help

Mongoo

bass cab/drum mic

From your list, I would go with the beta52, but I would prefer a GT am52 over all three of them. I've got an atm25 and it can sound good, but it usually takes me a while to find a sweet spot for it. An am52 is awesome for some really large and powerful low-end.

On bass cabs, I've had the best luck with a Groove Tubes AM-52 in omni mode right up against the grill. In omni, there's no proximity effect so the mic doesn't tend to "woof out".

Hey, I got a great idea for you that might help you out . . .

Why don't you try posting this same question like 2 or 3 more times. Just start a whole new thread each time, but be sure to ask the exact same question. That way you'll get 2-3 times as many great answers! :D

I have never had succes with using bass drum mic for bass guitar. Most of these mice have a tailored frequency response which is very suited for kick but not for bass, the frequencies you throw out in a kick mic are the ones you need in a bass.

Things that do work: the md421, the SM7, the beyer m88, the EV RE20 and depending what sound you are going for the beta 52 might do. Don't know the AT M 25 but I would certainly avoid the d112, although someone once told me that for bass miking, you have to use the backside of the mic, don't know if this is true...

10 year resurrection ! That's ok, answer's are just as valid now as they were then. :D
I Look at the ATM25 as being one of those cool mics that sit in between those plus and minuses of the 'flat(er) camp (RE20) were the mic is versatile for being more neutral- or the ones more 'task specific tailored like a 52.
Still has a bit of dip in the upper bass -that helps on bass or kick, but not so extreme as to back you into a corner if you use it on both.

Back