What your microphone, pre-amp set up?

I have an Audio Technica 4033, Oktava MK219, and a Crown CM700-small condenser.

For preamps I have a Presonus MP20 dual channel preamp, and an ART Tube Channel that has an optical compressor, EQ, and a single preamp.

I only use microphones for steel-string acoustic guitar, nylon-string, bongo drums, tambourine, ashiko, and sometimes my friends bass cabinet. I also like to record some keyboard parts with a mic in front of a PA speaker.

I have all the equipment I need and I won't be buying anything else....I promise......no really, I'm done. Well, there is just one more thing I need then I'm through......I PROMISE. :eek:

I have a Shure sm57 and a Marshall MXLv67 that I run thru a M-Audio Delta DMP2 preamp.....I use it to record vocals and my amped J-Station and other various misc. noises (tambourine, maracas,etc).....

I really, really, really need a spell checker.....

my next mic purchases will be a pair of Marshall MXL603's and a AT ATM25 so I can record some drums when needed.....

also, I wanna look into the new Art Dio preamp to make sure it sounds as good as the Art Tube MP...it has S/PDIF so Ill be able to record 4 tracks at a time on my Audiophile.......

I have AKG C4000B, AKG D112, SM57, 2xAKGD880, 2x Sennheiser e825. At the moment the only preamp is my Behringer mixer I like it, but I would like other colorations.
I'm seriously thinking of buying a dedicated preamp for recording vocals and stuff, but I don't want to spend any money before I know if I can get a couple of strips (Valley People I think they were) from an old console used in our only high end studio and build a pre amp from those. The engineer in the local studio says it can be done.
So we'll see.

Keijo

I have a 797 Audio CR998 Tuber and two Shure Unidyne 545s that I run through a Meek VC1Q (just got it) and the pres on my Behringer mixer.

I plan to get a Marshal MXL 603s for Christmas and a Davisound TB-6 Mic All preamp this summer (I hope).

Finally! 545's

TDUKEX

How are the 545's? I have a couple of them from waaaay back when. They need the plugs resoldered and new 4 to 3 prong adaptor cables. I've been wondering if it was worth the time, effort, and $ to fix them up. Back in the day, they were the SM-58's (AND 57's) of their time.

Microphones- Shure SM-57
Shure Beta 87a
Audio-Technica 3527 (omni)
Sennheiser 421
EV C09 (dynamic)
Sennheiser e835
Studio Projects C1 (favorite of the bunch!)

Mic Pres- Joe Meek VC3Q channel strip (clean-a little anemic in power)
Aphex 107 (moderate "tube sound"-a bit more oomph)

P.S. Considering upgrade to Class A Mic Pre by next year (ala Focusrite)

Cheap bastard productions......

AKG D190 E, through a Fostex VM04 digital mixer, processor.

Signal path: Around $200.00 after taxes.

I will upgrade if and when I learn how to sing.

Allmost bought a C-1 awhile back, but instead went to the dentist.

Dentist took my C-1 money and got his Beamer detailed, sorry Allan.

Seriously: With a large diaphram, don't your room acoustics have to be better?

GT

Last edited:
Mics: Neumann TLM103
sm57
audio technica small condenser ( I forget the model# )
Nady SC900 ( It was $80...so I gave it a shot -- sounds
good on my acoustic gtr, bongos and Cats!!)

Mic Pre: Currently I use the Mackie Pre's (XDR in the 1604 vlz pro)

However, I will either be buying the Great River Pre or the DW Fearn single channel pre from Mercenary Audio in the next couple of weeks. If I am not happy with them I will check out the Vintech and John hardy.

Pre-amps:

1 dbx 786
1 dbx 386 (modified)
4 Digitech vtp-1
Asst. dbx 900 Series pres
Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 16:2:2

Pre/comp combos:

1 dbx 576
1 dbx 376 (modified)
1 JoeMeek VCQ something or other

Mics:

1 AKG C12VR
1 AKG SolidTube (modified)
1 AKG C3000 (modified)
3 AKG C1000s
5 AKG C418
1 AKG c414buls
1 AKG D112
1 RCA BK11a ribbon
Asst. Sennheiser MD421
Asst. Shure SM57
1 MXL V67 (modified)
Misc. EV
and a bunch I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Mics:
Rode NT2
AKG D112
Radio Shack sd Condenser
Assortment of Wal-Mart brand mics

Pres:
Aardvark Direct Pro
Pres in Behringer 1602a mixer
Radio Shack mixer

Wanting to get in near future:
Marshall V67g or Studio Projects C1
2 Marshall 603s
A bunch of Shure SM57s
A new pre (not sure which one yet)

-tkr

Cardioid Potent

The Shure 545s are very nice mics--very similar to the 57's in frequency response and cardioid patern. The Shure website specs show both mics having a peak around 6khz and another at 8-10 khz, although the 545 has slightly more of a peak in both places. That tells me the 545 might have a little more of a high end, but I was talking to a Shure rep in an electronics store one day, and he said the 57 has a little more in the high end--go figure.

Anyway, from what I have heard of both mics (which isn't a whole lot) they sound very similar. The 545s actually retail for around $130, so if I was going to buy one retail I'd buy the 57 for $80. I was fortunate to buy my 545s for $10 each at a swap meet, so I'll stick with them. If I were you I'd fix the ones you have.

A pair of AKG D-112's for kick drums and bass
6 SM-57's for all kinds of shit
2 C-1000's for rack toms/ guitar cabs
1 C-3000 I've been using for floor tom and really digging
AT 4033's for room mics / outside for kicks / stuff...
Octava MC-012's for drum overheads / acoustic instruments
Groove Tubes AM-52 for MS recording (I used it on cello recently and thought it sounded fantastic)
Octava MC-319 for vocals
Apex 420 that I don't use for much of anything anymore
Envoice Mindprint real nice with a 57 for snare drum, wonderful with the 319 on vox
DBX386 I like it for kick drum and acoustic stuff ( by the way Tom, what kind of modification was made to your 386? Talk to me my friend).
HHB Fatman A little too much color sometimes. Sounds decent as a bass DI
HHB Radius 10 with the C-1000's for rack toms and 012's as overheads, Oh Mamma!
And the ever popular Mackie pre's and the Studiomaster pre's in my console.:D

Microphones:
Studio Projects C-1
2 Marshall V-67
Audio Technica 4033
2 Octava MC-012
2 Marshall 603s
2 AKG C-1000
5 Shure SM57
Shure SM 58
Shure Beta 52

Preamps:
ART Dual Tube MP
Mackie 1642 VLZ Pro
3 Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96

I am concentrating now on getting one or two good channels of preamp. I am looking at the Presonus MP-20, but I am not sure.

AT4033a
Shure sm57
Shure beta green 4.0 (ex for acoustic guitar)
Stromburg Carlson MD35
Shure Prologue (old, but kinda cool)
Phillips EL 6042/55
Shure Green Bullet

Ramko dual channel mic pre (cheap, but suprisingly clean)
Joe Meek VC3
Mackie VLZ pre-s on my mixer (preferred for vox)

I often us the various mics & pres to capture sounds around the house--various household items like the tip-tap-tap of my bathroom tiles or short bursts of the vaccum cleaner. I cut these up & incorporate them as atmosphere or natural percussion into my mixes.

Back