What are your favorite mics for guitar amplifiers?

All the usual suspects plus some:

SM57 (even a SM58)
Fat head ribbon
MXL R40 ribbon
MXL G67
Rode NT1 (very very early prototype Neumann clone version)
Sennheiser ME20 omni

I tend to pick depending on the required sound plus if I have to track with everything close when tracking the band live, drums, bass etc.
I also sometimes use a combination of 2 or 3 of these mics to separate tracks and pick later or blend them later, even pan the mics to separate sides of the stereo.

However I could use a SM57 and be perfectly happy.

Alan.

I've not used a large variety of mics for amp recording, but the SM57 has always worked well for me

i actually used a plain old shure 57 for years, but recently Ive switched to a seinnheiser 421 and I just got a shure KSM 313 ribbon and that combination is God's voice speaking right there. I always found the 57 to be just a touch brittle sounding, the ribbon and 421 cover the spectrum and are smoother sounding. Now I prefer a smoother, bluesier tone to my guitar (not blues per se but not screechy high gain either) so this was an ideal combo for me. Even the Seinnheiser by itself is a big improvement to my ears over the 57... but again, depends on the sound you want. the 57 definitely has it's place.

Did a session on the weekend and the sm57 was not quite cutting it for what we wanted, ended up using a fathead ribbon and an MXL67G mixed together to 1 track. Did the trick. Sounds great no eq at all, ended up just shelving the low lows in the mixdown to clean up a bit (all of really) of low hum in the guitar amp (not mine).

Just shows that different strokes for different folks.

Alan.

Back