What will Phantom power do to a Dynamic mic signal?

Yasoo

My sound interface to my computer has 2 mic inputs but only 1 phantom power switch that turns it on or off for both mic inputs. I wanted to use 1 condensor and 1 dynamic to record simultaneously. The docs say that the phantom power won't hurt the dynamic mic. What will the phantom power do to a dynamic mic's signal?

I've been meaning to ask this myself. So if would be fine to power my sm57 with phantom power and would you recommend it. My mixer will only power either phantom or regular and I want to use both.

dmc777 said:
So it would be fine to power my sm57 with phantom power and would you recommend it.

Phantom power sends +48 volts down the cable which enables the electronics on a condenser mic to work.

However the electronics in a dynamic mics don't work in the same way, so it won't affect them in all. It won't hurt them or change their sound. BUT you will not (as you put it) be powering a sm57. But it is OK.

If you are not using a condenser mic, it is recommended that you don't use phantom power.

ENJOY
Ryan

It will do no damage IF the Dynamic is a balanced design , however if it is a not balanced it shorts out the phantom power to Ground. This could lead to damage of the phantom power supply.

Tony

wilkee said:
It will do no damage IF the Dynamic is a balanced design , however if it is a not balanced it shorts out the phantom power to Ground. This could lead to damage of the phantom power supply.

Tony

is a shure SM57 a balanced design? would you mind listing some dynamic mics that are not balanced? how would a beginner know the difference?

I think an unballanced mic would be rare.
For instance a "Hi Z" mic.

Anything that you can plug a normal XLR into should be ballanced.

So Yes a SM57 is ok to run with phantom power.

If a mic uses a 3-pin XLR connector, it's balanced. Balanced means 2 wires for audio and a separate wire for ground. Unbalanced has only 2 connections.

Back