"What Is The Voice-over Microphone Everyone Should Own?" From ProTools Expert

Kind of discouraging if you were hoping for a bargain - unless you were only looking in the Neumann bin perhaps!

But, if you don't have a spare $1k (or $8.9k!) jingling in your pocket, the AT4040 did well in the LDC group and SM58 was [a distant] 2nd in dynamics, so I suppose not the worst news for us dilettantes here.

P.S. The way the lone shotgun kind of walked away with 1st in that group makes me wish they'd had at least another lower priced shotgun in there. But, with that test setup meaning the shotgun (business end, at least) was as close as the other mics, and in a controlled room, I'm not sure how many people would think about using a mic like that in that way, either!

That's a great resource!
That said, I'm not sure how much I trust side by side comparisons.
Even finely tuned ears want to like extremes. I suspect if the title was 'pick the brightest microphone' the results would probably have been the same.

I did find it interesting that 50% of the staff use 7bs, although that could mean a lot of things.

P.S. The way the lone shotgun kind of walked away with 1st in that group makes me wish they'd had at least another lower priced shotgun in there. But, with that test setup meaning the shotgun (business end, at least) was as close as the other mics, and in a controlled room, I'm not sure how many people would think about using a mic like that in that way, either!

I've been seeing some love for the Aputure Deity. At $350'ish, I am tempted. I use an RE20 mostly, and occasionally my 7B, have an AT4033 and CADe100s when I want some condensor time. I have always wanted to try out the 416, but cannot justify it without some dramatic differences in what I already use. It seems to be the holy grail for many.
Dale

I've been seeing some love for the Aputure Deity. At $350'ish, I am tempted. I use an RE20 mostly, and occasionally my 7B, have an AT4033 and CADe100s when I want some condensor time. I have always wanted to try out the 416, but cannot justify it without some dramatic differences in what I already use. It seems to be the holy grail for many.
Dale

All-star team.

Paj
8^)

Back