What the SM57 wishes it was

The Sennheiser e609 gets all of my guitar amp duties in a live situation. Been years that the 57 hasn't been there.

I find the e609 is not much of a departure from the 57, and maybe even a bit darker, and I don't like what it does to the mids.

Again, like the 57, you have to really find the one spot where it sounds good on a cab/speaker....but with my other guitar amp mic choices (the Fat Head or D1000E), I find I can put them anywhere, and they capture the sound from the amp without coloring it in some positions.

Of course...guitar amp tone choices are a personal thing, so whatever you use, if you like what you get form it, then it's the the right mic for you.

True that Miro. I tried the e609 time and time again in the studio only to find that out. Maybe helpful in taming the highs of a strat it helped some.

But when it comes to live they are OK and ... they look COOL! :thumbs up:

If I had to put one dynamic on a guitar amp, my choice is the e609. That being said, it is nothing like a 57. In that its a mic with very narrow applications. The i5 is much better analouge to the 57. I've heard people using the e609's on snares (I haven't tried it) but it apparently sucks on most everything else.

I understand the 308 is a nice sounding mic, but the swivel head is a weak link in its reliability.

I use a 609 for guitar scratch tracks and that's about it. You can hang it over the amp save a stand.

I'm not a huge fan of the e609 for recording. I have one and it rarely gets used unless I'm double-miking a speaker. It doesn't get along with my typical guitar sounds. I do kind of like it with my Vintage 30s though....sometimes.

I hadn't used my e609 in awhile, but I was doing a live recording with my band couple of weeks ago, and I didn't want to use my Fathead because the figure 8 would pick up EVERYTHING ELSE in the room (and didn't want the guitarist to bump into it since we had a live vibe going on, and I'm paranoid about my ribbons), and I was using all my 57s/i5s for vocals and snare, so I used it. If I had to use one dynamic on a cab, it would be that. But I almost always use the Fathead/57 combo these days. I used to use Fathead/e609 combo but they do not mesh together well at all.

The 57 does get some hate, but its really tied for the best $100 mic there is. The existence of the 57/i5 is why I tend to not bother with cheap condensers at all.

If I had to put one dynamic on a guitar amp, my choice is the e609. That being said, it is nothing like a 57. In that its a mic with very narrow applications. The i5 is much better analouge to the 57. I've heard people using the e609's on snares (I haven't tried it) but it apparently sucks on most everything else.

Kinda liking the 609 on horns. ;)

I like the Beyer M201 and also some other affordable Beyers, they are great mics and I own some for many years and they do their job very well every time I take them out of their boxes and put them on the stands and start with their recording jobs: great to work with.

Back