What other Great Value Mic's are there?

Garak

Everyone seems to think the world about the C1, C1000, some of the Rode mics for a low budget studio. Then you have the C414 and u87 for the higher end studios.

Other than those you don't hear of many good or great affordable mics. What else is out their?

What about APEX mics? they are very cheep here in canada. They can't be all bad.

I'm not looking for the star of my studio mics. I'm just looking at alternatives to say a 57 in a condenser.

The Oktava Mk-219 and MK-319 are often on sale for $99 and $150 respectively. I have the 219 and I use it all the time when I don't want an overly bright mic ( it has a bass roll-off and pad )

The ADK 51 large diaphram....around $200 or $250 with the shockmount and flight case

Marshall 603 small diaphram.....I'm going to order one soon....$79

Audio Technica 3525 $150. Medium diaphram, got excellent reviews by the magazines for percussion and acoustic instruments. They might make a good pair of drum overheads or for a set of congas.

I predict the new Shure KSM27 will attract a lot of buzz. $300

(All prices in U.S. dollars)

Guitar Center puts the Oktava's on sale every other month for the prices I quoted. Musicians Friend www.musiciansfriend.com carries them at good prices. The Soundroom www.oktava.com carries the whole line of Oktava products including matched pairs, wooden/cedar mic boxes, additional capsules, etc. Their prices are higher but they seem to be quite knowledgable and professional the two times I've dealt with them.

How much do you want to spend? Are you willing to shop and buy used? Are you willing to buy sound-unheard?

The how much to spend question determines whether you're looking for under-priced gems, like those often mentioned here, or whether you're looking for mics that have stayed on recording engineers' actual "these are the mics I use" lists for years at a time (not that those lists need to be mtutally exclusive, but it sometimes seems that Marshall is hot one month, then ADK, then Rode, then Studio Projects, then something else, but these new mics tend to bump one another as soon as the next one is reviewed, and it may take a little while to determine which ones become the future classics -- I'm betting on Rode and Studio Projects at this point, because both are directed by people who are passionate about sound -- but I'm a newbie, don't forget!).

I live in a small town in rural northern California, about 300 miles from anywhere. Auditioning mics at stores or studios is not an option for me. I have to be willing to buy used (or at least cheap), based on reviews, in hopes that I'll like what I hear and/or be able to re-sell it without taking too much of a loss.

In the range between the $250 mic and $1900 mic, you might want to consider some of the following:

Audio Technica AT4060 (tube mic with power supply), AT4050CM, and AT4033. There's the AKG Solid Tube and C414 B-ULS and transformerless C414 TLII that you mention. The Shure KSM 44 and KSM 32 are worth looking at. The ElectroVoice RE 20 is a dynamic radio broadcast mic that is also used effectively by some singers. The incredibly accurate Earthworks omnis, especially the QTC-1, if you want to record what you actually hear. Depending on your application, the smaller element condensers from Neumann, are mid-priced mics, as is the M-147, a cardiod tube mic with power supply and shockmount that comes complete for about $1300 on the web. The Sennheiser 421 in all its iterations remains a classic. In miniature condensers, I'd look for used Countryman and DPA mics.

If you live somewhere where you can audition mics, then that's the best way to go. If you can, try some of the more expensive mics from a manufacturer before trying their less-expensive ones. It will help you decide if they've retained the qualities you hopefully liked about their better models.

Best wishes and be sure to let everyone hear know about what you find that works well for you.

Mark H.

Marshall MXL

Along with the Studio Projects line and the Marshall MXL 603s already mentioned, the Marshall v67g large diaphragm condensor gets really good reviews around here. $150 with shock mount and shipping at Sam Ash, but you have to ask for it.

-Niels

Watch for good prices for well worn used EV mics, then send them to EV for refurbishing.
Got my re-20s (2, but he had 3 or four at the time) for around $125 each, sent them in, got them fully repaired for $50 each. One had a broken diaphram. RE-15 and 16 are also good mics.

I can't try any mics before I buy because I live about 8 hours from any music store of any size. The local guy can order yorkville stuff(including apex) and get it really cheep for me.

I'm going to order a C1 tomorrow from axemusic in AB. They have competive priceing. Actually a low price guarantee, if I see a lower price some where else they will match it. So its not too bad.

Right now I'm looking at apex because they are very cheep and I'm looking for something that will give me a diffrent sound than the C1 or a SM-57. Also I'm looking for more cheep mics to use when bands want todo things off the floor. The applications range from micing Gtr amps, overheads and other percussion(congas, bongos, etc...)

With the exchange rate lower than ever living in Canada is really starting to suck. Free health care and cheep internet has its advantages though.

The CAD m179 is a great sounding multi-pattern mic. You can also get a special version of the cardioid only version of this mic, the M177 at guitar centre. It's called the M37 and is $99 U.S.

These mics are very quiet compared to others in the price range and the output is very high so they should work well on quiet instruments such as celtic harp though I haven't had a chance to try my M179s on harp yet.

Note: My mics are back at CAD for repair (the polar pattern selection switches weren't installed in the correct position so It was impossible to tell exactly which pattern the mic was in once you moved it off of the cardioid pattern which was fixed with a "detente". As soon as I get 'em back, I'll post some stuff.

I own(ed) a few of the mics that seem to be hot for home studio guys on this list: the Studio Projects C1, the Oktava MC012, and the AKG C1000

I've found the C1 is pretty much all of what everyone says on this list and an exceptional value in the large diaphram dept. Like they say: it has that- already processed//mastered, hit radio sound. Go for it!

Personally, I LOVE the Oktava 012- three capsule. (and find i use them all) This mics sounds fantastic on ac guitar and not too shabby on vocals as well ( gotta have a windscreen) . I need to get another soon! Just got my hands on a MXL 603 but haven't had a chance to listen yet. I hear it compares favorably to the 012, but I think I would miss the omni and hypercardioid options.

I sold my C1000 and just had no love for this mic. Very unimpressive- IMHO

And on the other end of the spectrum, I have had the pleasure of recording with the Earthworks omnis, many times.. OMG are they awesome! Highly recommended if you have recently hit the lottery.

If you can find a Soundelux U97 (they're discontinuned), check it out. I got one of the last new ones. 4 patterns LDC (Cardiod, Omni, Hypercardiod, and Figure-8) for less than $600. Mercenary Audio carried them so it doesn't suck. I'm pretty happy with mine on vocals (in Cardiod) and Acoustic Guitar (in Omni). Soundelux also makes some pretty $$$ mikes, so although this is a budget mic, it's no slouch.
Disclaimer - The only other LDC I've used is the AT-4033, but the U97 sounds much better than the 4033.

These pop up on Ebay once in a while, so be on the look out!

-Evan

I have a few Apex mics around... Don't really use them anymore, but way back they were all I could afford, and they got the job done... Rather well also....

'57 is a good choice too...

Audio Technica has a few decent cheaper mics...Dynamics....

The Cheapest I would go for a Condensor is The AT4033

Harvey Gerst said:
Please keep in mind that the AT 4033 is a small diaphragm condenser mic (15mm), not a large diaphragm mic.

And?

Am I missing something?...

I was just stating the cheapest condensor that I like.....

Bleeding Gums said:

And?

Am I missing something?...

I was just stating the cheapest condensor that I like.....

I think Harvey may have been talking to me, weren't you Harvey? :)

In that case, the only LDC I have ever used was the Soundelux U97, guess that ruins my credibility :cool:

(All in Jest!)

Back