What mics are these? Help pls

Soyputoxd

Someone sent me this pic of these mics in order to sell them to me, but IDK rick.

Attachments

• IMG-20171001-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20171001-WA0027.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 57
Hi Rick,

The black mic isn't familiar to me at all.
The other vaguely resembles a beta58 but too much is wrong with it to be a beta58.

These are either models I've just never seen before, or bad knock offs. I suspect the latter.

Has this seller offered any information at all?

I think all Shure mics, even the PGs, have the name around the rim below the pop-screen/ball. These look like cheap karaoke mics which have had a Shure logo applied. Not saying they aren't, because who knows what gets sold in some parts of the world, but with the molded 1/4" plugs (high impedance?) I'd not give a nickel for the pair.

Agree with Steenamaroo there is something not right with either mic. Of searches I just did I can't find any with the Shure logo printed onto the handle like these. Both mics have 1/4" TS connectors which suggests a Hi-Z mic and not useful to most live use or recordists. The one that looks like an SM58 has a roll at the top of the body which I couldn't on other similar Shure mics where that area is part of the grill. The black jobbie, I couldn't find anything that even resembled that from Shure.

Attachments

• IMG-20171001-WA0027 v2.jpg
    IMG-20171001-WA0027 v2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 10
Someone sent me this pic of these mics in order to sell them to me, but IDK rick.

offer him like $50 for the both of them. The top one is a beta 58 grey the bottom is a beta 56 red. this was back in the late nineties/early 2000's back when they were experimenting with different eq circuits in them (blue, grey, green, and red) new they were $60-$80 back then. they had hi Z-off-low Z switches in them.

offer him like $50 for the both of them. The top one is a beta 58 grey the bottom is a beta 56 red. this was back in the late nineties/early 2000's back when they were experimenting with different eq circuits in them (blue, grey, green, and red) new they were $60-$80 back then. they had hi Z-off-low Z switches in them.

The Dr is correct concerning the Beta 58 @ today's price $159.00. I am not sure what the bottom mic is and this article will show you how to make sure they are true Shure beta mics and not the rip offs that are commonly found.

Its another shure mic but it was part of a series that turned into PG series. I saw those back when they were making the BG series (beta green). Most of these sub-sm series mics came with a 1/4->xlr cable back in the late 90's.

I've used the one with the red stripe before, it works well for acoustic mic on stage but not for toms or micing an amp.
its like a sm57 but not so nasally sounding, and with a slight "smiley" eq response with no eq engaged on the mixer.

Last edited:
Can either of you provide an image of a beta 58 which looks like that?
If they're legit, Shure must have radically changed the design at some point.

Can either of you provide an image of a beta 58 which looks like that?
If they're legit, Shure must have radically changed the design at some point.

I provided a link on my post #6 above. Just click on the "Beta 58" in the first sentence. As far as the pics being identical, it is hard to say without a 360 degree view. That is why I also included a link to the knock offs as well. I live 20 miles south of Washington DC and I can walk any where and buy a Rolex for $20.00. ;)

With that being said, I think the OPs pics do not match up with what Shure has on their website but manufactures change designs like my wife changes shoes so it is just hard to say.

Last edited:
I provided a link on my post #6 above. Just click on the "Beta 58" in the first sentence. As far as the pics being identical, it is hard to say without a 360 degree view. That is why I also included a link to the knock offs as well. I live 20 miles south of Washington DC and I can walk any where and buy a Rolex for $20.00. ;)

With that being said, I think the OPs pics do not match up with what Shure has on their website but manufactures change designs like my wife changes shoes so it is just hard to say.

As you said, the link you provided and the mic in OP's pic don't quiiiiite match up. I understand what you're saying about design changes. It's plausible that these really are both Shure mics. I would still be very hesitant about buying this unless I saw some good evidence that these are just older designs.

Below are circa 1995 vintage BG 1.0 and BG 4.0 Shure mics (my Fostex 4 trk cassette era). Neither have the logo printed on the side, nor does the BG 1.0 have the rounded top body shoulder like the one in the OP's pic. Unless the ones in the OP's post were special Shure prototypes and not released to the general public, neither of the suggested mics in Doc T's post show up in a Google image search or on eaby

Attachments

• BG 1 BG 4.JPG
    BG 1 BG 4.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 3
Green upper ring rather than red, this would be one of them less the wireless crap.... :)
by dhl or ems 50 sets WM308 2 in 1 Wired Wireless Handheld Dynamic Microphone with Receiver for Karaoke free shipping-in Microphones from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And another.....
WM308 2 in 1 Wired Wireless Handheld Dynamic Microphone with Receiver | eBay

The Beta 58 similar one is such a cheap piece of crap nothing close in a search of "cheap dynamic microphones" comes up on the radar.

Back