What microphone to plug into a digital piano?

Sujin

Hello, I am a singer and pianist who owns a Yamaha DGX 660 piano.

The DGX has a mic-input, and I will be buying a mic soon to plug into this piano. However, I have little to no knowledge on microphones so I'm not sure which microphone would work with this piano.
The requirements of the DGX's mic are as follows: "An XlR to quarter inch unbalanced (TS) cable is needed for the DGX-660. A low impedance dynamic microphone is required.Condensor mics requiring phantom power are not supported on the DGX-660." (DGX-660 : What Kind of Microphone and Cable is Compatible ? - DGX-660 - Portable Grand - Portable Keyboards - Pianos & Keyboards - Musical Instruments)

With this, what mics are recommended for this piano (vocals)? My budget is up to around $130.

Thank you, :)
Sujin

? Why do you feel the need to plug directly into the keyboard, which limits you greatly? Aren't you using an AI or mixer of some kind?

If for some reason you're determined to do it this way, there are several very fine quality mics in your range. The Shure 58 or a Sennheiser x35 series (835, 935) are IMO probably your top choices, but that's opinion only and can vary depending on your voice, what kind of music etc...I would suggest if possible you try them and whatever others you're interested in before buying (granted that can be hard, not many places offer this ability).

Also be aware an unbalanced cable means you really want to keep it to a short-ish length or noise/interference could be an issue, but probably not unless for some reason you want the keyboard and mic far apart (sounds unlikely).

I was very pleasantly surprised by the EV Co7s. Bought them cause they were cheap. Bought more because they sound great. A little less hyped but more open than an SM57/58, and a whole lot hotter, and you can almost buy 3 for the price of the Shure.

The problem here is that the speakers in the piano are not very good for a microphone - and being physically close to your mic, if it's on a boom stand, you won't get much volume before it feeds back.

It will work, but the quality really isn't going to be anything special - so no point in an expensive microphone - I doubt you will hear the difference between a cheap but decent dynamic and a Shure 58. If you invest in a proper PA, then mics are very important, but voices coming out of small speakers mixed in with the piano sound? No.

The problem here is that the speakers in the piano are not very good for a microphone - and being physically close to your mic, if it's on a boom stand, you won't get much volume before it feeds back.

It will work, but the quality really isn't going to be anything special - so no point in an expensive microphone - I doubt you will hear the difference between a cheap but decent dynamic and a Shure 58. If you invest in a proper PA, then mics are very important, but voices coming out of small speakers mixed in with the piano sound? No.
From what I can garner from a quick look at the manual for the DGX 660, it appears to have the ability to record audio from a mic to a USB stick while playing. Might be able use the speakers for live use, but I'm guessing it's recording of vocals the OP is looking to do.

Back