What mic for weak thin voice and recording acoustic?

Rodd1000

I'm not a singer but can hold a key when needed for backing vocals etc. The main fault being that my voice is quite thin and weak despite trying to improve it with exercises. My budget Eagle g158 doesn't help the situation so I'm wondering what would be the best upgrade for me. I'd also use it to record acoustic guitar so something suitable for both situations would be great. It would be used mainly for indie folk/rock.

Budget is around £100.

Condensor mic's im considering are, AKG Perception 120, Audio Technica AT2020, Behringer B-1 and SE Electronic SE 2000

I'd also like to consider an SM57 or 58 but read that dynamic mics aren't the best for recording acoustic guitar?

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi there,
Do you have any recordings for us to listen to?

You may genuinely have a weak voice, but a lot of the time when people talk about weak sounding recordings, it comes from singing too quietly.
Are you giving it much?

Admittedly a 57 isn't known to be the 'best' mic for acoustic guitar, but it's definitely an adequate mic.
I think we don't hear much about it on acoustic instruments because most people don't have a good sounding room and instrument to start with.

If everything else is hunky dory, a 57 can be a fine acoustic mic.

A lot of people talk about MXLs cheaper mics. I have no experience with them but it'd be worth researching.
What is it? V67g? Is that the one they talk about?

If you can find a cheap MK-219 on ebay I've had great results with it for vocals and acoustic guitars.

Maybe an EV 767 dynamic? They go up to 19k so they'll get a decent acoustic sound ( I use them for that sometimes) and they have a nice sounding proximity effect so if you get right up on it it'll 'fatten' up your voice for sure. That's actually part of why I use them live ..... I do a lot of Barry White type stuff and it helps bring that bottom end and fatness out.

Back