What MIC do you use for Hip-Hop?

Protocall

Hey Guys!

I have currently been recording at home for a little over 1 year, and I am wondering what other people use in there studio's? Originally I walked into a local music store looking for a AT4050, however I was talked out of buying it and to purchase SM7b. I was told this is a better "Hip-Hop" microphone for half the price and also gives a deeper sound. I was unaware that SM7b's are Dynamic microphones at this time, or what the difference was. After a few short days, I disliked the SM7b and returned to the store for the AT4050 which I was going to originally purchase.

Once I got there I also noticed there was a Vintage Warm feeling Condenser microphone that was the AT4047, Luckily I purchased the last one they had in stock and I have been so happy with this purchase. The SM7b was 350$ while the AT4047 was 650$. The difference between these microphones (for my vocals anyway), is ENORMOUS.

Shortly after I also purchased a Presonus Eureka Channel Strip, which came stalked with EQ, Compression and some other nice features like saturation. It took me a while to tweak it correctly, but once I did, the combination with AT4047 + my Presonus Eureka is magnificent!! I couldn't be happier.

I am curious on what others experience is like? Does anybody use any TLM series like the TLM103? , If I was ever to upgrade I think I would start with a TLM serious which is mainly used in professional studios.

Each vocalist have their own sound and are captured differently per microphone and preamp.
Guess you got lucky right off the bat. You may have to face the fact that there may not be an upgrade for you.

Now for the 103 ... I have tried a few and have not liked them and my findings have been consistent with many reviews on that microphone. Undoubtedly the biggest flop in that microphone company's history.
But then again ... Who knows. It might work for you. If were you, I would check out the 102 first. ;)

Now for the 103 ... I have tried a few and have not liked them and my findings have been consistent with many reviews on that microphone. Undoubtedly the biggest flop in that microphone company's history.
But then again ... Who knows. It might work for you. If were you, I would check out the 102 first. ;)

Really? I love the 103. I've used it a LOT, be it when I was in college for projects (we used it on outside kick and screaming vocals, and it sounded GREAT on both), in my house, and at the studio I work at. Personally, I think it's a great mic... $1,100 is a lot, but you can find refurbished ones for around $850 or $900 if you look around. Used for even cheaper.

I think it's really good for vocals, but I LOVE what it sounds like if you throw a Beta 52 inside a kick and the 103 outside of it a few inches. The kick just sounds ENORMOUS.

Each vocalist have their own sound and are captured differently per microphone and preamp.
Guess you got lucky right off the bat. You may have to face the fact that there may not be an upgrade for you.

Ya you are 100% right. The most important thing with any microphone is how your vocals sound and how your voice is on that microphone. I forgot to mention the Presonus Eureka has a Class "A" Mic Pre-Amp, so this definitely enhances my AT4047. Looking at some reviews of the TLM102, it does look boss! Around the same price as the AT4047 also.

Really? I love the 103. I've used it a LOT, be it when I was in college for projects (we used it on outside kick and screaming vocals, and it sounded GREAT on both), in my house, and at the studio I work at. Personally, I think it's a great mic... $1,100 is a lot, but you can find refurbished ones for around $850 or $900 if you look around. Used for even cheaper.

I think it's really good for vocals, but I LOVE what it sounds like if you throw a Beta 52 inside a kick and the 103 outside of it a few inches. The kick just sounds ENORMOUS.

I have used the TLM103 at a friends studio about almost 1 year ago. But he had a different setup with Compression and Pre-Amps. I would be curious to try it on my setup with my Channel Strip. I want to add tho, it still sounded fantastic, he needed to increase the High End tho, seems like there wasn't much presence on those vocals recorded there.

the way you describe the sm7b and your at mic shows youre a newb. youll be whining soon enough for more mics.

Microphones are all preference IMO. What might work for 1 person, doesn't necessarily mean it will work on another persons voice. Just for me, the SM7b wasn't a nice fit wit my vocals unfortunately.

Microphones are all preference IMO. What might work for 1 person, doesn't necessarily mean it will work on another persons voice. Just for me, the SM7b wasn't a nice fit wit my vocals unfortunately.

Very true. One size does not fit all. The SM7B does take a bit more preamp oomph than others I've tried. The 4050 has been a good fit for my voice, just may work out well for you.

I love my 4047. It was between that and an SM7b, but I bought a 4047 on ebay for $380 or so including shipping which is a steal.

Very true. One size does not fit all. The SM7B does take a bit more preamp oomph than others I've tried. The 4050 has been a good fit for my voice, just may work out well for you.

Exactly. There are so many preferences, so many different voice types, and some people use it for hobbies, some people are semi-professional others professional. 1 mic def does not fit all!

The TLM 103 is a great sounding mic. My only problem is that I A/B'ed it with an sm58 on someone else's voice and I could swear they sounded so similar it was disgusting. I was scratching my head. But yeah, if you have a decent room you can go pretty far with the AT4047 and the Eureka. The SM7b can be useful but IMO it takes a little experience to appreciate it. In the end, it really is all about your own opinion.

I only use my Eureka on the hihats at this point (which it totally KILLS)but its a very good utilitarian pre and a great buy to start with. Very few pieces have all the features it has and good performance as well. Its the one pre I recommend to someone starting out. Comparing an SM7b to a 4047 is like comparing a dog to a cat. They aint the same beasts. One not being "better" than the other, just way different. BTW.....I can't imagine ANYONE having to add highs to ANYTHING recorded with a TLM103. This points to someone not having a clue with techniques.

Last edited:
Back