What mic for acoustic guitar and voice recording?

qandre

Hi all,

I am about to buy my first recording mic. It's a hard choice, so I would like to have as many advices as possible :)
I would like to record mainly an acoustic guitar, and a male voice. It will be in my room. I am looking for something quite multi-purpose, not very bright if possible, and which does not require to spend a hard time in mixing..!

I saw some ads of second-hand mics which could fit my budget (up to £80):
- SE electronics 2200
- AKG C1000 S
- Audio-Technica AT2020

Would you recomend one of these 3 please? Which one would fit me best according to you?

Thanks in advance!

Quentin

First off..............take the C1000 off your list. That is one of the lousiest mics AKG ever made. I own a pair of the 2020's and they have great detail for such an inexpensive mic. I did however feel they sounded a little bit shrill in the uppers. That's what they make EQ's for.

Thank you for your advices!

What about a good old SM57? As I am quite unexperienced in recording, I just wonder if it is worth having a static mic. What do you think?

Thanks again :)

Question: what other equipment do you have? Do you have an audio interface? What do you have for monitors for mixing purposes? Is your room acoustically treated?

I have used a 57 before and I was very pleased with the sound it provided. Plus, you can use it for many other things as well. Placed down by the bridge, not a bad sound for such a low priced mic.

Thank you very much for your responses!

mjbphotos :
I have a very simple M-audio interface with a XLR and jack entrances, and phantom power provided.
My room is not treated.
I have Prodipe pro 5 and a Panasonic rp-hc500.

Not very fancy equipment put for now I would like simply to record proper tracks I compose :) The guitar and voice will be mixed together with electronic drums and MIDI keyboard!

Thank you very much.

Does £80 for the SE2000 sound a good price to you? It is in very good condition. But the AT2020 is twice cheaper!

For the same price I can also have a M-audio Luna. What about this one?

Cheers!

I hope you are considering doing some acoustic treatment in your room. A condensor mic will pick up more of the room sound than a dynamic mic like the SM57.

Eighty pounds for an sE2000 is a good price but I'd go for the second hand 2200A if it's still available. The 2200A is a mic the punches will above its weight--I use mine in preference to some Neumann offerings that I probably should sell but then get sentimental.

Even so, I'd pick the sE2000 over the AT2020 by a fair margin.

The AKG C1000S is very useful...if you need a studio door stop. Otherwise forget it.

Suggestion: sE in the UK offer a seven day free trial. Get them to give you an sE2200A and try it. Just don't tell them you plan to send it back and buy second hand...

Thanks Bobbsy for your answer!

Actually I was mistaken it is a SE2200 not 2200a. Is it still okay?

What about a M-audio Luna? I've read some very good reviews on this one...

The original sE2200 will be at least 10 years old--it was only made briefly by sE and quickly replaced by the 2200a model which was "current" until a couple of years ago. I only played with the original 2200 once (before I moved to Australia I lived a five minute drive from the original sE UK office) and remember thinking it was pretty good--but, before I had the money/need for a new mic, the "a" version was already out.

However, if 2200 is a typo for 2000, that's basically the "economy" version of the 2200a...not quite as good but a very cost effective mic at 80 quid. I'd personally prefer it to the AT2020 (and prefer silence to the C1000S).

I can't compare the M Audio mic--I've never heard it. Just a prejudice, but I've never thought of M Audio and microphone in the same sentence--I know then make mics and monitors now but I still think of them for interfaces only.

You know the only place I keep seeing those damn c1000's are at live bluegrass events. Cannot for the life of me understand why people keep using them when a truly decent sdc can be had for the same price.

Well I would love to. What kind of basic treatment should I do?

Thanks

Have a look in the here

What you are looking for is getting the room the way you want it to sound on the recording not for mixing. While the two have the same principle but the objective is not the same, one is for what you want hear in the recording (you want life, but controlled), the other is to neutralize the room for consistent mixing across all possible listening environments.

Ok thanks to everyone!

Still struggling between the SE2200 and M-audio Luna though, just have to make my mind then!

Back