what kind of shure mic?

needmyownstudio

i hear from everyone for home recording i need a shure mic. i want to record hip hop vocals. right now on ebay they have :

SHURE GREEN BULLET MIC 520dx

Two SHURE SM-57 MICROPHONES MICS MINT

Shure SM-57 microphone BRAND NEW

SHURE PG 58 VOCAL MICROPHONE WITH CABLE

New Shure PG58 & PG57 Microphones

BRAND NEW SHURE PG48 MIC

AND MANY MORE. do you recomend any of these? or would you recomend something different?

needmyownstudio said:
i hear from everyone for home recording i need a shure mic. i want to record hip hop vocals. right now on ebay they have :

SHURE GREEN BULLET MIC 520dx

Two SHURE SM-57 MICROPHONES MICS MINT

Shure SM-57 microphone BRAND NEW

SHURE PG 58 VOCAL MICROPHONE WITH CABLE

New Shure PG58 & PG57 Microphones

BRAND NEW SHURE PG48 MIC

AND MANY MORE. do you recomend any of these? or would you recomend something different?
Who is everyone... who told you that you need a "Shure" mic, why must it be a Shure?

need, get a SM57 (or SM7) AND a nice condenser like the ones suggested
here. Be shure :D to try any condensers out with a local dealer first.

Chris

i don't like the sound of the sm57 with hiphop/R&B recordings..
the sm7 i like with some singers, mainly females...

needmyownstudio, what ALL do you have right now?

Well I cant name names of who recommended I get a shure mic. Its just something I over hear often so I took it as "the word". I am willing to get a mic that is not of the shure brand name if something better is recommended. As far as all of the feedback I have gotten thus far on the topic I highly appreciate everyones help. I have looked into the kms 44 and have began to fall in love with it. But I am still very open to opinions because I am looking to purchase "the last mic I will ever have to buy".

And to c9-2001: When you asked what I am working with currently; the answer is nothing. I have a piece of shit microphone with was a mistake (lack of research) and a stand for that microphone. That is it at this point. Moneys tight but I hope to eventually pick up a nice mic (the purpose of this post), and a pre amp. I am still debating on the importance of picking up a compressor. I am not very knowledgable in this area though so any amount of help I would appreciate. I do have a decent amount of knowledge (for a beginner) on working behind the boards and engineering tracks. But I am just not too aware as to what equiptment I should be purchasing in order to make my job of engineering easier.

needmyownstudio said:
But I am still very open to opinions because I am looking to purchase "the last mic I will ever have to buy".
Well then, you've got a lot of mic auditioning to do... and I wish you the best.. and good luck.

needmyownstudio said:
But I am still very open to opinions because I am looking to purchase "the last mic I will ever have to buy".

They haven't built that mic just yet. Oh, and they never will.

Strange Leaf said:
They haven't built that mic just yet. Oh, and they never will.
actually depending on what he needs to do a KSM44 will take care of him for a long time.. its a mic that can be used on anything..
if he's just recording vox for now, the kms44 would be great..

needmyownstudio, you said you have nothing and money is tight.. then i wouldn't tell you to get a KSM44 at the time b/c your gonna need a nice preamp to go with it..
now if you can spend $1200+, get it.. if your on a TIGHT budget.. i'd look at something along the lines of a
Studio project B1-B2-TB1-C1 with a nice pre and you shouldn't spend more than $500.. it'll render you a nice quality.. and always a good mics to have.. depends on your money...Wanna share some ;) LOL

c9-2001 said:
actually depending on what he needs to do a KSM44 will take care of him for a long time.. its a mic that can be used on anything..

if he's just recording vox for now, the kms44 would be great..

Yea, but how do you know that for sure? What if he tried it and hated it? Don't get me wrong . . . I think the ksm44 is the bees-knees, and I'll recommend it just like you, but even as opinionated as I am, I can't tell someone "this is your mic!" All we can really hope to do is point them in the right direction and help them narrow their choices down. You do make good suggestions, though. :D

i think you should get the neumann i suggested with an avalon pre. that'll sound okay... if you're on a tight budget.

c9-2001 said:
So, if you know the KSM44 will be the last mic he will ever have to buy you must be God. :D

i was at my boys studio the other day(my sisters boyfriend) and he went and got a KSM44 just to play around with.. he said after he messes with it some he's gonna sell it to me or even give it to me :D
but he records with major stuff..

he has a $4,600 Sony tube mic(C-800G) :eek:
he has a few u87's, a u47, NTV, blue kiwi, bunch of 57's and some other mics.. but he mainly only uses the C-800G for vox through a vipre...

he said he really likes how it sounds.. he said he may use it more often than his u87. he said its has a very neutral/natural sound and it really quiet.. he tracks with a HD3 system and a 2" studder

i can't afford the vipre but i was looking at getting a decent used avalon or an A-Designs MP1..

Well then, after he gives you the KSM44 you can sell all your other mic's. :D

IMO, the KSM44 is a really nice mic and one of my favorites... but, it's NOT the last mic I'll ever buy nor is it always the best mic for every job.

I keep hearing how good the KSM 44 is. It makes me wonder how much different the KSM 44 is from the KSM 32. I thought they were basically the same mic except that the 44 has dual diaphrams which give it multi patterns. Have any of you A/B these two mics in cardioid pattern to see how similar/dissimilar they are?

I own a KSM 32 and to be honest, it's not my favorite vocal mic although it will work fine on some voices. Probably would work well for HipHop. For my tastes it is a little too, dare I say, neutral sounding, for me.

Really would like to know how it compares to the KSM44 though.

Blessings, Terry

Two different sounding mic's... the difference is kind of hard for me to put into words... but, I think of the 32 as being "closer" to a neutarl type mic and the 44 as being more of a tailored type mic.

DJL said:
Two different sounding mic's... think of the 32 as being "closer" to a flat type mic and the 44 as being a tailored type mic.

"Tailored" is a pretty vague term. Tailored to what? Female voice, male voice, rough voice, smooth voice?

I guess I'll try and find a graph somewhere and see how they line up.

DJL, have you used both mics and if so, on what?

Thanks, Terry

Back