What happens to a Condensor mic when not properly stored correctly?

frank_1

What happens if a condensor mic is left with out it's case. I think is does some internal damage, but what. If it is damaged, can you get it fixed for cheap?? :confused:

Any help/insight on the subject is wellcomed.

I'll leave a comprehensive response to my betters on this board, but if you live in a particularly moist area, you'll want to store your mics in a cabinet or box in which you can control the humidity, ideally with some gentle air circulation, but if that is not possible, then at least with some carefully placed dessicant. Do not blow on the capsule; neither use a hair-dryer. ::--)))

I haven't been able to find a source of Silica Gel yet, but the local hardware store sells Calcium Chloride dessicants as "DriZair" and "Damp-B-Gone." Dessicants suck the excess moisture out of the air, but in doing so, they get wet -- so you don't want (for instance) to lay your condenser on top of a sack of "Damp-B-Gone." :-) When the dessicant becomes wet (i.e., doubles in weight), you can dry it out in the oven or microwave and reuse it, several times over.

We live in an area where the RH is probably 80% or higher year round -- it's definitely an issue here. Florida is even worse, because the high humidity is combined with heat = mold.

They call condenser microphones "condensers" because they condense the moisture out of the air. That "warm" sound is actually what your voice sounds like under water. (Sorry, I was channeling Dr. Science for a moment there -- don't believe him.)

If your microphone isn't sustaining mold growth on its capsule, it may just need some time in dry storage.

Also, although as far as I know only Electro-Voice has addressed this as an actual feature (specifically in the RE2000, which has a capsule heater), many tube mics create quite a bit of heat, which also helps to keep them dry. I tend to leave my AT 4060 plugged in when it is not in storage just for that reason.

Don't give up on your mic!

Mark H.

Last edited:
I asked that because I just bought a Marshall V67 off of ebay from some guy that is selling all of his equipment. It looks brand new, but I didn't ask him how long he as had it for, or if he took care of it (come to think of it, he would of lied to me anyhow).

Thanks for the response.

Sorry to nitpick, but your subject confuses me...

Is it indeed possible to properly store a mic incorrectly? Or improperly store it correctly? Whoa...

:p

Isaiah

I recognize Isaiah's "editor's humor" -- try to ignore it. ;-)

It may be possible to damage a condenser with smoke (discussed elsewhere), by blowing on it (why DO people test microphones with a puff of air?), and with excessive moisture, but keep in mind that every day another U47 or other vintage mic exchanges hands for THOUSANDS of dollars, and their buyers are generally happy with what they get.

So those of us scrambling to buy what we can at the lower end of the spectrum probably don't need to worry too much about how a mic has been treated, except in the grossest sense. As you noted, a dishonest seller isn't going to tell you the truth anyway, and despite their supposed sensitivity and claims of being fragile, your second-hand condenser will probably sound great.

As a clever fellow wrote in another thread, "I wouldn't suggest you dunk it in a glass of beer or anything...." I loved the image of that!

Mark H.

Nice penguin photo....

I just noticed you also asked me a question without ending your statement with a question mark. tsk tsk tsk.

Don't mind me, it's just part of my evil plan to drive you insane. :p

Isaiah

Wheelma, thank you -- which is why I frequently post from my office in the middle of the night (we have a DSL line, and man is it faster than this supposedly 56k connection at home).

I'll check out your link for silica gel.

Best wishes,

Mark H.

The elements can destroy a mic, especially in moist conditions. If a mic is left in a smoky room all the time, residue will build up on the capsule...not to mention it would stink. The mic will be useless quick enough.

Storing a good mic in its case at room temperature is a good idea. If you take care of you're mic, it will last a very long time, provided you do not use it as a hammer. :D

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

If you go to your local gun shop/outdoor sports store - you can find Silica containers.

Gun owners use them all the time. The ones I found (5"x 2") look like the ones in the link from Googel - cost about $5.00 apiece.

I take offense at that, my remaining EV 664 mic has made a great hammer since I bought it 32 years ago and it sounds just the same as it did new.

Back