What do you think about the Mindprint ENvoice ?

jumpingflash said:
I just bought it and I think it's extremely usable and good sounding....

What do you think ?
i made a shotout

mindprint envoice
dbx 376
spl track one

as reference:

langevin dvc

langevin dvc is better than all of them, put the envoice was the winner of the contest, a really nice preamp.

I've got one. It's one of my three favorite pieces of gear. If it broke, I would order one tomorrow.

(No, no, don't even think thoughts like that...)

Im actually thinking of getting a second Mindprint. They are without a doubt the best sounding voice channel type thang for the money

please dobro,

dont mention the rode ntk as one of your favorit e pieces. I dislike it almost as much as I dislike the audiotechnica 4047 and 3035.

On the other hand, a guy change out the tube in the ntk and reported a much smoother sound.

Coincidentally, I have two of the same favorite's as dobro...

1: MindPrint Envoice

2: RODE NTK

3: POD

I support the mindprint envoice as one of the favorite pieces in anyone's studio. I once heard a marshall mxl 2001(yuck) sound good through it.

It dont get it with the NTK though. I've tried my best to rationalize it. I prefer the sound of the c3000

How to set it up to give presence to a voice ?

I end up having strange results at times...

(It may sound stoopid but I am new to all this)

tubedude,

I have heard 5 rode ntks. I only liked one. Its a better mic than most of the sub $500 mics I have heard, but it still is not there.

To me, a mic should be a mic, should be a mic. I.e, it should do the job without any flaws. Unfortunaely, most of the cheap condenser have a lot of flaws.

THe rode ntk sounds downright fluffy(thin), with a bit of harshness on the top added for taste. It does not have the body that I am looking for or that I hear on commercial CDs. Everybody compares it to the u67, but I doubt that it will ever be used on a pro track.

Montys test confirmed it. I just could not imagine Dido's voice ever coming through it. Basically, it did not measure up.

Of course, a neumann m147 sounds just as bad

Tube, you should listen to monty's test carefully. There is a shockingly beautiful mic on that test that costs about as much as a TLM103 but leaves the 103 in the DUST. THat would be THE sound I am looking for. Nobody has heard of it yet though

The soundelux u195 is the other mic for sub $1000 that will give you the sound.

CyanJaguar said:
Tube, you should listen to monty's test carefully. There is a shockingly beautiful mic on that test that costs about as much as a TLM103 but leaves the 103 in the DUST. THat would be THE sound I am looking for. Nobody has heard of it yet though

is the companyname starting with a N...but not neuman?

I think CyanJaguar had a personal spat with Rode or something. I sent him some NTK vocals that he seemed to like, and I tend to see the quality control on these pieces as stellar (all 3 I have tried sounded and reacted to my ears exactly the same). Anyway, it's a great mic, as anyone who owns it will tell you, and it doesn't matter if someone who doesn't own it hates it. For any product you can find, someone out there hates it.

monty teebaum said:

is the companyname starting with a N...but not neuman?

YES!!!. THats a mic

Charger,

If you read my post carefully, you will see that I said that the rode ntk sounded better than most of the $500 mics out there. That should make you happy that you got the best deal out there.

A u67 it aint though. Even a tlm103 it's not.

The reason I have listened to five different, yes, different, rode ntks is because I thought that the ntk would be the mic for me, but the more I listened, the more I did not get it.

Its the first mic I've heard that sounds better when the recording is converted to an mp3. It takes out some of the harshness on the extreme top. Try it and see.

Well, you know I have tried it and seen, because I sent you samples of both MP3s and wavs. Personally, I thought the MP3 conversion hashed the high end... but obviously, your mileage varied. I guess what your saying is to each his own... I agree with that, I'd rather own something I like than something that everyone else likes "just because."

BTW, what is a U67? I've never seen one or used one.

Wish i had two but reality sets in after the purchase of one $500 mindprint . Use mine for vocals with recently purchased C3, the AT4033 got relegated to instrument recording.

This is the final summary for the RODE NTK and the RODE NT1000 in a review by prorec.com......

Bringing it all back to my original thought, these microphones are a great example of what's right and good in our industry. They are the polar opposite of the slew of what I'd call "exploitation mics." Everywhere you look, there are great-looking, mediocre sounding large diaphragm condensers. It's like a disease. Everybody wants to sell you a look, exploiting the profile of classy mics, but substituting dirt-cheap parts because they don't think you're smart enough to notice.

Not so with these. Not even close. Every aspect of the NT1000 and NTK is pure class. Instead of just trying to exploit the classics, RØDE has built a better mousetrap, designing a structure so elegant and so smart that the money saved can be reallocated towards stuffing these great cases with some of the best sounding electronics you've ever heard.

This is what it's all about. This is what we wish every manufacturer would do - be artists and scientists first, and trust that musicians will recognize quality when they see it. Kudos to RØDE for bringing back a little class to a marketplace that's gotten downright depressing.

I don't see how anyone could miss it. This is everything that's right with microphone design, and then some. I cannot say enough good things about these mics, and I'm damn hard to please. They are top-notch, they have a voice all their own, and quality far above the asking price. They break ground. Don't buy a new large diaphragm condenser without listening to the NT1000 and NTK. But be prepared. Once you've heard them, you'll have a hard time letting go of either one. At less than a grand for the pair, maybe you don't have to.

Don't take my word for the sound. Please. Go listen to these mics yourself. Stand on something soft, so your jaw won't get bruised when it hits the floor.

The full review can be found here....
http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/60D13B8C0E0AFA5986256A1D005425AB

The review is 100 percent dead-on correct.
I know this because I've actually OWNED the NTK for several months now, and I know just how sweet it really is.

Back